Why does my photo change color when I upload to photo.net?

When I uploaded this photo to photo.net, it took on a definate red cast. I

deleted it, edited it a bit (even though in PS it doesn't have this tone) and

resubmitted it several times. I have it open and PS now, and the difference is

very visible! What's happening?

Internet browsers only recognize sRGB color spaces. So if you are working with a different colour space (e.g. Adobe RGB), you have to convert the color space when you save for web display (in photoshop, I think it is in the edit menu under color settings).

RGB and sRGB are colour profile settings for both camera and printer and tradition has it that RGB is the better camera setting if you're going to print while sRGB is better if you're going to post on the web.

Open up your photograph in Photoshop and click on 'Image', then 'Convert Colour Profile' and see if there is an option to 'Apply sRGB profile' and, if there is, do so. This is the way it works in Photoshop Elements so I assume your PS is the same or similar

Note-do this to a copy of your photo-not the original.

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but it might be the answer to your problem and, then again, it might not be-i just thought it was worth checking.

regards, cb

Don't know if this will help but when I edit an image in PS and post on Photo.net I always use the following and it never fails for me...

1. In PS, go to "View" tab and click on "proof colors"

2. In PS, go to "View" tab and click on "proof set-up" and click on "windows RGB" or "monitor RGB". I personally use windows RGB but see if monitor RGB works for you

My Color Settings are RGB so I don't think sRGB is the issue here.

Sterling makes a good point. Invest in a good book. I use tips explained in "The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers". You will also learn how to calibrate your monitor as well.

"Internet browsers only recognize sRGB color spaces."

Actually all current browsers (except Safari on the Mac) ignore the colour profiles completely, and put out the raw RGB data that is in the image.

sRGB was created to be an amalgam of what most monitors do pretty much by default, so using it for web images is a good idea because it puts you in the right ballpark. But the whole subject is a disaster zone.

This is a pretty useful page to read:

http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/color-spaces-page1/

Kasey, I think colour profiles and colour spaces are all very confusing. If you have photoshop is really very simple. After you resize your image click on file and in there you will see a dialog heading called save for web. click on that and check the following boxes: JPG, optimised, maximum quality. Save. I save these in a special file that you can name whatever you like. Your original will still be displayed in PS and you can delete it. You will find that whatever profile you import in save for web the saved JPG has none! It becomes an untagged RGB. The problem lies with the fact that your uploaded file above has a profile. I hope that you find this information useful.

Thanks everybody! I tried all of the suggestions listed above. I even tried to calibrate my monitor! About all I was able to do was turn the picture the same red in Photoshop, as it is on here! I looked at the photo from a different computer, and it wasn't as red, so I assume that the problem lies in my monitor. I'm not technically savvy, and now I am aggravated with the whole issue, so, I'm gonna leave it alone for a few days. Thanks again! :) KW

Kasey, there could be a lot of things going on but just think of the joy you'll have once you figure out the problem. If you aren't technically savvy (as you mentioned) then purchase a program that will calibrate the monitor for you. Typically running around $100 or borrow from a friend as it doesn't seem there are restrictions on how many monitors are calibrated with the same program. I use Eye-One Display 2 but there are many. Very easy with these programs. You could just have an old display that cannot be calibrated. There could be other contributors here. Maybe you've unknowingly loaded a setting in Photoshop and you just need to return the settings back to default.

Don't get discouraged, one good book may be all you need

Could be a Graphic library of Database?

I have my pictures organized with an Apache, PHP, Mysql arrangement.(Created by myself but copying idea from PN)

When T pass the picture directly to server and to browser the picture looks the same it looks in an image software.

When I pass the picture "trough" te Database using a graphical library to adjust some settings, add captions, etc...I see a slight difference, lets say some loss in quality