Can anyone suggest a good monopod for a Canon 5D?

jackie_boldt

I've reached a point in time where I realized that I need to purchase one of

these for non-flash weddings and formals in churches. I've gotten by thus far,

but I feel that this would definitely make my life a whole lot easier. Does

anyone have any suggestions for me? Keep in mind that I wouldn't use this at

every wedding, so it wouldn't get alot of use. I just need something that I can

trust to have my 5D on and will do the job of keeping my camera steady.

Thanks!

Here's one thing to think about: depending on the mechanism(s) used to extend the monopod, some are noisier than others. The carbon fiber units will be quieter and lighter, but some of the aluminum/mag versions can get a little clanky. Also: do you expect to collapse it and carry it while shooting? Some are a lot easier to slip into a hip holster or over your shoulder. Don't forget to think about what sort of head you'll want on it. A swivel head with a quick disconnect is really helpful - especially if sometimes you'll be mounting something like a 70-200 by its foot, and then later mounting the camera body. Personally, I use a <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FBogen-3231-Professional-Monopod-Deatchable%2Fdp%2FB00007E7IL%3Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Delectronics%26qid%3D1184552802%26sr%3D8-2&tag=uplandlife-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325" target="_blank"><b>Manfrotto 682B</b></a> because it also has a three-legged assembly enclosed in the bottom... and that makes a nice quick lighting stand for a remote shoe-mounted strobe when there's no shelf or windowsill handy. This is something you really need to head to a store a lay hands on, if you can. If you're tall, not all work as well, for example. Good luck!

I use a Gitzo ... but would recommend investigating the ones with a quick release type

extention ability for weddings. The traditional twist type are a PITA when you are in a rush.

Also a quick release head to get the camera on and off fast. Make sure the Monopod is

steady when extended. Some of them are pretty spindly when fully extended ... a product of

trying to make them shorter when fully collapsed ... which is a bad trade off.

I use a cheapie I got off e-bay. I use the Manfrotto tilt head. I was going to put a Really Right Stuff clamp on the head but found that it is pretty easy to screw the head/monopod into the camera. I have a monopod pocket on my belt that the monopod (folded up) can be slipped into, so part of the criteria was that the folded up monopod be short enough to do so. I am short as well. Also, the folded length had to be less than 20" to fit in my rolling case or duffel bag. My monopod has lever locks and one twist type lock. So far, it's been easy and quiet to operate. I suggest you analyze how you intend to use it, carry it, and how it integrates into your camera attachment system, if any.

I use a Manfrotto/Bogen model 3218, not sure if it's still current model, with a Manfrotto/Bogen 3232 swivel tilt head. I have a Stroboframe QR receiver on the swivel head. I have the same QR receiver on my tripod and flash brackets and all my bodies/large lenses have the QR plates. Everything will fit on everything else. Using a QR system is only way to shoot a wedding.

I've never used legs on a monopod. Don't know why I would need them as I would never trust my camera and especially a large lens sitting atop a monopod supported by those small legs. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen to me. When I'm not using the monopod I just stand it in a corner or lay in on a pew. When I need the support of a tripod I use a tripod.

Jackie: I sometimes use the legs on my monopod to turn it into a small-footprint stand for a remote strobe. Works great. I can put the strobe up around 6 feet, and have it off in a corner or behind a piece of furniture just where I need it. If your speedlight has a threaded table stand and you can use it remotely, it's a neat trick. When I DO have the camera on the monopod, it'd nice to be able use the feet for a little help with the stabilization under some circumstances. I've used it a couple of times, with the stand down low, to use the camera in self-timer mode or some other odd-ball applications when a tripod just wasn't viable. Only you will know if it's handy! But a solid tripod, it's not.