Puffins in Wa State

Ross,

Right near you, just south in Tacoma is the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium which has a lovely, natural setting puffin exhibit. As a fine art photographer of animals, I can tell you that the photographic vantage points for puffins there was pretty terrific.

Chuck

Could be wrong but I don't think there is one. Colonies here are usually protected/inaccessible. I've heard you can take a boat to an island from somewhere out by Neah Bay/ Clallam Bay/ Sekui but I don't know if that's for shooting or just viewing from the boat. Here's the charter page for the chamber of commerce: http://www.sekiu.com/charters.asp Puffin Adventures I believe was what most people used but I'm not sure they're still around. The Washington State birding guide book has a listing for that charter tour. Tufted puffins show up sometimes at Ediz Hook in Port Angeles. I have a photo of a distant fuzzy dot to prove it. Those birds probably nest at Protection Island, which is absolutely off-limits. You'd be better off going farther North for serious puffin photography.