Kodak Retina IIc

I just got a Retina IIc. I thought it is a fun camera. I played around with it.

Now, I need help from more seasoned professionals. Here is the situation.

When I first got it, the shutter release firs. After I played with all the

buttons trying to figure out how to pay it, the shutter release does not fire

any more. It is more interesting to me that after I press the shutter release,

it does not come up. Then, I wind the film advance, it firs. Only when I wind

it. The self timer first works, now, it does not work either.

I guess I am too green to the photography and classic camera.

With the IIa and IIc, the counter counts down from the 36 or 24 starting point. When you arrive at the number 1 on the counter, the shutter release is locked. The purpose of this is to stop the user from winding too far and tearing the film out of the cassette. At that point, you would normally rewind the film back into the cassette. You must then depress the little button behind the shutter release and manually turn the counter wheel clockwise past the diamond symbol. You can then again cock and fire the shutter.

I think it would be jammed in the shutter release mechanism. The old lubricant might stick on the L-shape shutter release.

The old lubricants might be the source of the problem.

Although my Retina IIIc does not have your problem, my shutter was jammed by the old lubricant that the shutter 'clicks' and self-timer can not works.

Mike said it all, it must be the counter. Move the button on the right of the viewfinder several times to the right till you see 36. Also it won't fire (of course) when the lens is unfolded. Sure if it fired when you had it, it should fire again. One more thing: If it doesn't work, use a cable release and check again, but you'll be fine... Have fun, I have one, it's great

I do not think that it is a problem related to the frame counter. If the frame counter is not reset properly you even cannot move the advance crank.

I think the problem is rather related to the shutter cocking mechanism. If the shutter is not fully cocked it will not fire. If the cocking rack inside the shutter is not returned to its start position (depending on some other issues) the shutter may fire immediately after cocking it.

The later Retinas have another cocking rack close to the advance crank which is prone to wear. You should remove the top cover and check the teeth of this rack, if they show significant wear you should replace it. Micro-Tools sells new racks but it might be cheaper to cannibalize a junk camera.

I think Winfried B is likely on the right track, though it is the worst-case scenario. I've never had to open up my own IIc and don't really know how the cocking rack is located and connected to the bottom-side film advance lever.<br>     One nice thing about the earlier IIa model is that the film advance and cocking mechanism is identical to the often-inexpensive Ia, so that is a good source of spare parts. One can also get the little frame counter spring from the Ia, which is the other weak point in the Retina rf cameras.

Yes, maybe we are a bit short of information to really diagnose the problem. Just one other thought on repair issues. I was talking in another thread about my Retinette Type 022, and I notice that the bottom winder on that camera looks identical to the one on my IIc. So, I'm wondering if the Retinette might be a source of spare parts for the IIc. I don't really know because I haven't taken the cover off either one, but it seems worth looking into as the IIc is such an excellent performer, and I only paid $10 for the Retinette in a junk store.

It seems it may be just only a simple problem. He pressed the shutter release button and turned it (which he may not know). It he does, the button will not pops-up. I found this out during testing.

It is possible with my Retina IIIc owing to the release button is blocked by the light-meter unit or the film release unit.

Try to turn the pressed button to see if it comes up again. Your camera should be OK. If the button still did not comes up, open the top cover. You shall know what you need to do then.

(It might be a very easy to solve problem but we thought it in a difficult way.)