645AF with MF lenses

nathancraver

I just got a used Mamiya 645AF with the 80mm lens and I was just wondering about using manual focus

lenses. I read two other posts about this and just wanted a little more clarification before I spend any

money on a MF lens. (keep in mind that this is the first medium format camera I have ever used, and

previously only shot digital SLR)

How adversely will MF lenses affect auto exposure (ie aperture priority mode)?

Is the stop down method completely necessary, if you can see through it, cant you focus it with the

aperture already set? or is it because the meter can't properly evaluate the light with the diaphragm closed

and, what is the A / M switch for on the MF lenses?

Basically, I just want to know if I would be wasting money by buying a 35 and 55 mm MF lens.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Nathan,if your shooting landscapes with the 35 its not as big a deal since you have lots of time to set up your shot and for landscapes I use manual focus anyway. However if your intent is to use the manual focus for everyday shots I find it a pain. It is not as easy as using the manual series cameras. First, if you don't stop down the viewfinder it is to dark to see. That's even at f8. You must remember to put your switch to M, and keep your lense on the M setting as well. You also have to remember to set the camera to the 'Av' mode or your exposures may be incorrect. As you can see the process starts to get slow real fast. I currently use a 300mm and a 55mm manual focus with my AFD. (left over from my PRO TL). The 300 is always on a tripod so its not a big deal, but the 55 I still try and use for candids. It is very SLOW to use. I use the 80 and the 150 auto focus for now until I can afford some more lenses. If I were you I would look for a 150mm auto focus as they are reasonable to purchase and is a great lens.If you find a 55mm manual focus for real CHEAP then go ahead, until such time you decide to get more auto focus lenses.