Paranoid about Absolutely Clean CCD

shineofleo

When a picture was taken with a large F number, the dots were very obvious. So I

got a clean kit (wet sensor swab) to get rid of some dust spot on the CCD of my

D200.

The result was not bad, the dots in the picture were gone. However, I felt

myself a bit paranoid about the CCD: I keept looking at the CCD, tried to spot

some dusts on it. I took some sample pictures and adjusted the level trying to

reveal any suspect dark stain in my picture...

Yes I found some very faint, constant gray blurred circles, but only in very

extreme level settings with a large F number... (more than half of the picture

was black due to the extreme setting)

I just want to ask is there a 'absolutely clean CCD condition' ? I really want

to have a negative answer so I can stop checking the dirt in my D200...

If not, what is the 'acceptable' condition of a clean CCD?

Thanks...

The "acceptable" condition of cleanliness in CCD is when you take pictures, there's nothing noticeable in the end result (regardless of numbers - as long as you really use those apertures).

If you tend to worry, try not to change lenses in the field and make sure the environment is not windy/dusty.

I hope you are not too worried about little dust floating around your lens' inside elements... :)

Oh what a relief! :)

Before the cleaning, there was some obvious dots in the sky part of landscape pictures, using 12-24mm lens. It was annoying because the sky is blue and the dots were black under large F number.

But now sky is blue... and that's all!

Yeah Albert, actually I was worrying about the dust floating in my camera, or lens' inside elements all the time. I can visualize them... floating.. landing..

Oh just hit me! XD

I check for dust particles every now and then. Take a picture of the sky at f/13 and f/22. I only take action when dust is visible in the f/13 picture. the f/22 gives an impression of the amount of dust on the sensor but will (almost) always show some particles. YMMV, but don't worry too much about dust, be happy.

You could rent some space in a a clean room. Weekly rent might be more than your camera but you will be able to keep your sensor clean ^^.(Naturally after you went trough a detailed cleaning of the internal parts of your camera and lens.)

There are many interesting high-tech objects one could photograph in a clean room. I once entered a clean room but I had to leave my D200 outside: too dirty. So be prepared to go through a laborious cleaning procedure or enclose it in a plastic bag with just a filter sticking out before you can enter the room with your camera. :-))

I suppose for me, acceptable is when I get tired of cloning spots out. In my real life shooting, spots rarely (unless blue skies etc) incluence the entire image, and are easy enough to clone out.

Once the spots get too big or too many, cleaning time. But I've come to accept a certain level of 'spotiness' to my images. Thank goodness for PS.

I hate a dirty sensor too. Because I don't baby my cameras and travel into scuzzy environments sometimes.Sure glad my Olympus DSLR, E-1,designers decided to incorporate an effective onboard dust sweeper and collection device, you betcha.

And the two ED lenses and six element teleconverter are sealed,both from moisture and other yucky things that float around...

GS,

Good Shooting.

Lest I sound too much like an Olympus groupie, my recent buy was a Nikon Coolpix P5000 plus SB400 plus wide converter, a brilliant little camera which I may use more than my DSLR. No sensor cleaning because CCD is well sealed. Though it is not likely to sustain the drop on the floor that an E-1 will oft survive. Oh well.Guess, we can't optimize everything....( And come to think of it,why not? asks Donald Trump:-)))

Nikoniks,pardon my unseemly entry into this serious discussion of sensor dirt.

I remain,your most faithful Nikon system admirer,

GS