Preparing for canoe trip

jarek_l1

I am planning on taking my camera (Rebel XT) for a canoe trip down the Wisconsin

river.<br>

Since I do not have special water proof cases, what would be the best protection

against water and sand? The water should be calmed, but there is always a chance

of flipping the canoe, or getting caught in the rain.<br><br>

I'm thinking of purchasing some inexpensive plastic containers with lids from

Target or Wal-mart, and putting my camera, lenses and 580EX in them.<br>

Last question, would that be a bad idea to put an inexpensive (aluminum) tripod

into water?<br>

<br>

Thank you

Don't worry about the tripod getting wet, especially in fresh water - it'll just get clean. OTOH, I'd be a little concerned about putting the camera and lenses into plastic containers (I assume you mean the type used for leftover food). It would be good to tape the lids closed, but it would be even better to go to an outdoor supply store and get some <a href="http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441894365&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302700593&bmUID=1187206739863">"dry bags"</a>. They'll be a little more expensive, but more likely to keep things dry. If you get the right size, you can put the gear in padded bags (or wrap them in clothes) and then put them in the dry bags for protection against bumps as well as water. Of course, the really right answer is <a href="http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441892909&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302700553&bmUID=1187206866534">something like this</a>. Happy paddling!

I just recently went on a canoe trip down the Delaware River. I opted out on bringing my digital equipment so I went old school and brought my old Canon FD equipment. I kept my stuff in a dry bag. Dry bags aren't fool proof so there's a chance of your stuff getting wet if you flip over. Just in case, try putting your camera body and lenses in some zip lock bags and put those inside the dry bag. That's a pretty good solution, I'd say.

Having done several canoe trips (30+ to Boundary Waters and Quetico, plus river trips down the Namekagon and St. Croix rivers (to name a couple) I'd highly recommend a Pelican case.

Not only are they extremely tough and completely water tight, but you can paddle with one on the floor of the canoe in front of you and have much quicker access than a dry bag in the event you want to get to your gear quickly, for wildlife, etc.

B&H sells them with movable dividers, which is what I got after returning one with the "pluckable" foam insert.

Hi,

Look for EWA-Marine cases for camera and lenses. Their U-AXP case will fit your Rebel XT and some lenses. These are sort of heavy-weight plastic (PVC) bags that are fairly affordable, rather than the really expensive rigid camera cases. The EWA-Marine cases are good down to 150 feet, but that's not what you are concerned about. They should work great for general protection against water and dirt.

While not in use, keep the camera equipment in some sort of case *that will float*. This could be something designed for the purpose, like a Pelican case and similar, or even as simple as a plastic cooler with a good-fitted, well-latched top (reinforce with bungee cords, add padding inside to protect against bumps). While using the camera in the EWA-Marine case, you may want to tether it to something, just as a precaution.

Fresh water should do no immediate harm to an aluminum tripod (saltwater would), so long as it's dried reasonably quickly. There might be plain steel parts to the tripod, though, too. If so, you may need to oil or grease them to protect them from moisture. A spray of WD-40 or similar after using the tripod may be a good idea ("WD" stands for "Water Dispersal").

Aluminum can actually "rust", with a sort of white corrosion. But, it's less likely to do so due to fresh water if it's been anodized or otherwise given some sort of protective finish. Even on raw aluminum the corrosion is relatively slow to develop, anyway. Saltwater is another matter. It attacks aluminum a lot faster.

Have fun!

A most economical solution would be using multiple zip-lock bags and a large water-tight tupperware. Other solution may be buy a water-proof bag like Lowepro's Dryzone (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/251101-REG/Lowepro_2008090_DryZone_200_Backpack_Yellow_.html). Actually there is a third option. Buying a point-and-shoot digital camera and water-proof case. I've bought Powershot G7 and Canon's under water camera case for my family vacation. Although G7 is hog-slow compare to the Rebel, but it worked adequately above and under water.

David is definately right about a pelican case, if you can fit everything into a Pelican 1500

your good to go, I still put my bodies and lenses into ziplocks anyway when I know there's

water around. The 1600's are probably a little to cumbersome for a kayak or canoe, I have

two of them for my 4x4's and it's the only reason my stuff makes it back home unbroken.

I have canoed with photography equipment for almost 40 years. Unless this is a one time canoe trip, get a Pelican case. It is totally waterproof, almost indestructible, and allows you access to your equipment relatively quickly. The "bags and containers" approach will work, but your camera will be too hard to put into action.

Actually, I usually keep a camera and lens in my personal dry bag that is always in front of me in the canoe, just for quick access. If anything threatens, I close and seal the bag and hook it to something with a carabiner.

I used to have an inflatable double walled whitewater camera case which floated if it went into the water when I used to white water canoe. Can't remember the manufacturer, but the case protected my Leica and Canon gear for years.

Relying on inexpensive drugstore cases is a recipe for disaster. If you get lucky there will

be no accident and you will have saved a bit of money. However, if the thing you fear

actually happens (capsized canoe, camera case dropped overboard) your loss will be

extensive.

I purchases secure waterproof cases (the type where the top folds over and then is

strapped shut) when I last took my camera (and other sensitive stuff) on a canoe trip. I can

certainly see the hardshell cases as a good alternative.

The peace of mind is well worth the relatively small expense, even if you only use this stuff

once.

Dan

I use a small pelican case that I keep inside a drybag. Sure, suspenders and a belt, but it works. It is hard to get at the camera quickly. To get around that problem I also bring along a waterproof disposable camera for shots on the water. I make sure the drybag is also attached to the canoe so <b>when</b> I dump, the camera will stay with the boat. I've swam several times with this, and had no worries at all, except about the sweepers downstream. But that's another story.<br/>

<br/>

Dave

I do a lot of rafting and like others, I generally use a Pelican box. I think it is the best solution most of the time. It's light, watertight, opens quickly, is indestructible, protects very well, and doesn't weigh too much. There are some knock offs being offered on ebay that look pretty good too.

A really cheap alternative is a military ammo can. They are tough, waterproof, open & close faster than anything else, but they are heavy, clumsy and have relatively sharp corners. Make sure you test the seal for leaks before the trip. You can pad the inside with dense foam from a cheap camping pad and contact cement. I made one with folding compartments for extra lenses and batteries, etc. $10 can get you a reliable case if you are willing to put up with some inconveniences.

The problem with any sort of dry bag is the time it take to remove the camera and reload it. Using a roll down closure right, so that it won't leak, is an art form, and takes time. You really can make them watertight, but you carefully have to fold (never roll) the flap without any wrinkles, and it's not easy while you're in a boat. But even if you get one with a watertight zipper seal, they still offer no real damage protection, and a persistent rub against a hard surface will often result in a leak. I had a double wall (inflatable) camera bag that did offer protection until it developed a leak. I don't recommend them for cameras anymore.

Cheap plastic boxes and coolers are rarely waterproof. They are OK if you are sure you're not going to dump your boat, but are a fine way to loose a camera if you do. Whatever you take test before you go.

Thank you for the suggestions, I went to a local store, and almost got a Pelican 1550, but they had a customer appreciation day, and I ended up with the same case but made by Calumet Photo for less.<br><br>

What is the most important about your answers is that my wife approved the purchase in less than 20 sec. after reading your suggestions.<br><br>

I felt like the Verizon guy (TV commercial) with a big network behind him.<br><br>

Thank you