Adapter to use MF lenses on DSLR for stitching

I would like to use some of my collection of Pentax 67 and 645 lenses on a

Pentax DSLR with an adapter that allows a shift. The idea is to stitch 4 or

more exposures to yield a higher resolution. I am aware of Zoerk adapters, but

find them a bit pricey. Any suggestions?

You might be interested in this article (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/digital-ebony.shtml). The photographer uses an MF digital back on a 4x5 view camera. The sensor is shifted to provide two shots which can be stitched into a double-wide image.

Whereas images taken with a rotating camera must be converted into cylindrical projections before stitching, the view camera technique is rectilinear from the get-go. Furthermore, there is no change in perspective since the lens remains stationary while the back is shifted.

AFIK, no medium format lens has enough coverage to permit this technique. Most PC lenses will only shift a fraction of one frame.

If you don't find the adaptor you could try Paint Shop Pro v.8 onwards which has the Warp Mesh tool for correcting perspective which is why I guess you want to use the shift lens adaptor. Manual stitching in an editing programme gives you better control than a stitch programme and is quite easy using layers. My feeling is that one corrects perspective before the stitch and considerable overlap is needed to permit this, when the camera is not level but pointing up or downwards.

Thanks for the comments and links fellows; very helpful. It may be easier to accomplish want I want with a pano head and 35mm lenses. I'll wait for the 645D to use my MF lenses. Andrew, I found some shift adapters on ebay but they accept only Pentagon 6 lenses; is there a adpater for Pentax to Pentagon six?