service center near my house ( I live in California ). Sigma has only 2 service

center available

15 Fleetwood Court

Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

250 N. 54th Street

Chandler, AZ 85226

So I'm not sure it is a good idea to buy sigma lens or not

Any one has an experience with there service? If I buy sigma lens and it has a

problem, the only way I can fix it is to send to NY or AZ?

Thank you

Well, for under $15, UPS can get it to one of those destinations from pretty much anywhere in the continental US in just a couple of days. But, that's assuming you have a problem. For what it's worth, I've recently acquired that very lens, and am quite pleased with it. I'd be annoyed if it malfunctioned on me any time in the next couple of years, obviously - but if I really thought was a significant risk, I'd have coughed up the extra several hundred dollars for the Nikon 12-24. So, the question you have to ask yourself is: do you feel lucky? And if you don't feel lucky, are you willing to feel better by putting several hundred more dollars into the situation... and, of course, still not guaranteeing that you'd never have to part with the lens for service. In short: it's a decent, reliable lens at a good price, and shipping's pretty cheap if that turns out to have been wrong, even though I've not heard any loud reporting about lots of trouble. Get the lens - you'll become addicted to the 10mm end of that zoom, believe me.

I have had an older generation lens, 70-210 f2.8 rechipped by Sigma, and they were awesome. Fast, and no problems. Also, I just bought the 10-20 lens, and it is one of the best lenses I have ever had! It is only the second lens I have bought new, the other, three years ago, was the Sigma 120-300 f2.8, no problems with this lens either, still going strong. I believe Sigma has great lenses. Good luck.

The paperwork that comes with the lens says one year. I know, that's not very reassuring, is it? But I'm back to the same issue... I could use it like crazy, eventually kill it, and replace it with yet another new one... and I'd still only have spent about what the Nikon costs... and the with the Nikon, I'd be 2mm narrower (which is a lot more than you'd think, at that length), and I've really come to like that Sigma at 10mm for certain shots. It's great, that way. I'm a real Nikon glass snob, as it turns out - love their lenses, and of course I love that 5 year warranty... but this was a matter of a big difference in price for a very marginal difference in effective quality (and, in the case of the wider zoom from Sigma, a situation where Nikon actually falls just a little behind the competition, feature-wise). I realize this is all anecdotal (aside from the hard facts of the warranty difference), but I'm very comfortable recommending that Sigma 10-20.

When you buy the Sigma 10-20mm before you buy it there are bad examples. I tested one with no real focus at al and left was different from right and the CA was bigger than subjects. The I have now is great. On forum the lens get 8 and 9s or 2 and 3s, sp probably something wrong QC at Sigma's.

I have the 30 1.4 and a 10-20. From what I hear Sigma has great service. I believe its a one year with a three year extended. Don't let the distance deter you. The 10-20 produces great images and is a lot of fun.

Sigma fixed two out of warranty lenses for free for me. One was a 18-35mm 3.5-4.6 (I'm not sure if the 4.6 is accurate but the 3.5 is) and a 20mm 1.8. Both were broken due to a fall or rough use. The service was fast too. Obviously you experience may differ but mine went well. I sent it to their main service center and not the outsourced center in Arizona. I doubt the breaks I got would occur at the AZ center.

If I recall correctly, my 105 2.8 Sigma bought new came with a three year express warranty. I don't know about your potential purchase. Check the Sigma website or the seller.

The 10-20 aperture is F4-5.6 which is just as slow as any other 4-5.6 zoom lense. Slow meaning not having a big maximum aperture, meaning not good in low light. The good part is that since the focal lengths are so short (and less prone to camera shake as a result), you may be able to hand hold in many low light situations anyway.

• 1 year later...
Hi, having read this I'd really like some advice too! It sounds like sigma are good with doing repairs? Just how long did it take to fix your lens as I have a 18 - 50, 2.8 lens for d40x, which has been great but i think it may be damaged and wasn't sure where to start with getting it looked at - i dont know if the focal plane has been affected as it got banged and it still works but i'm not sure of the clarity of the focus. i'm travelling in australia and dont have access to a computer with software i can study the raw files! does anyone know about length of time it would take to get fixed from here?

• 1 month later...