Tripod advice

jay_runquist1

Sorry if this is off topic as there isn't any specific forums for general accessories....

I need a sturdy tripod for a Canon 30D that has a stem that can be inverted for macro photography. Any

suggestions? This is the only one I could find as I've orderd stuff from these guys before:

http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=1623

Thanks for any advice you could give me! --Jay

Tripods are not specific to camera brand etc. It is well worth getting a good one (preferably carbon fibre if you are going to carry it around alot).

I suggest you visit a good camera shop and try a few out for size.

My own preference is for Benro - which are direct copies of the equivalent Gitzo (top brand) models but made in China; I have had both these brands and find the Benro just as well made as it's Gitzo counterpart at a fraction of the cost.(It's now the only one I use).

Most people find a Ball + Socket type head preferable, but again best to try for yourself.

Personally I would avoid Amvona at all costs - I have had a couple of very poor experiences with them on ebay! (just try getting a response from them by email!).

I have the carbon fiber version of that tripod. The tripod itself is not terrible. It's not great but it's not terrible. The ball head and the pistol grips from Amvona are TERRIBLE. They can't hold the weight of a 24-70 + 20d without slipping unless it's vertical. Now that I have the 1dM2, it can't hold it at all.

I now have an ArcaSwiss ball head. That thing will hold the weight of the earth without moving!

While it is perfectly true that it is nearly impossible to get anything like customer service out of Amvona, my experience--in buying a monopod, head, & tripod from them--was that the equipment is often a very close clone of various major brands, with what seems to be great utility. For example, the finish on a copy of the Manfrotto older pistol grip head is much rougher than the original, but the price can be incredibly cheaper if you just keep bidding low and are patient.

I have the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 and have been happy with it. It has the reversible center column which I've used a few times. You can also mount the column sideways (parallel to the ground) which can be useful for down-on shots. The biggest downside to the tripod is that it's heavy, so if weight is a consideration you'll want to look at carbon fiber.

I tried inverting the column on a tripod a long time ago ... and quickly realized the benefits of a tripod where the legs fold flat. Apparently I'm not alone either:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00LjHC

(See Edward Ingold's comment re: inverted column use).

So I second Mr. White's Gitzo/Benro suggestion along these lines.