Why Leica lenses are different

"With respect to Barry's comment - he implied these cameras are brand new and I should practice with a few hundred pics. I am almost embarrased to admit I've taken a few thousand with the Leica and many more with my Nikons. I guess practice hasn't made perfect! "

Yikes! My bad, somehow I just got the impression they were fairly new. I never evaluate a body of work based on two quick snaps.. Show more, isn't that what this place is for?

I'm not poking at anyone or any camera but if you shoot JPG files you're not seeing anything close to what the camera is capable of producing in quality. JPG compression throws a great deal of the information away in an effort to make smaller spaces and if you edit your files in 8 bit you're throwing even more away. Those of you that take your files to Walmart or Costco or whoever are even getting less quality. The only way you'll see what your camera, Leica M8, Nikon, Canon or whaterver DSLR or P&S, will do is shoot raw and carefully edit in 16 bit. You will need a fully profiled and calibrated system and do custom prints. Why buy a quality camera and throw the information away?

I just drove the boards crazy with a number of posts about out-of-the-box Nikon and

Canon point and shoots looking better than my Nikon D200 and Canon 5D out-of-the-

box until someone pointed out that both C&N allowed for Photoshop to sharpen my

images and the P&S would do it for me.

Using that logic I "set" my N&C cameras in custom modes to emulate "more fully realized"

processed images and they hit the mark and were obviously better than the P&S's. Color

was another matter. Nikon color is not as saturated as Canon color. Period. That's in P&S

all the way up to the D2X and 1DSII.

Perhaps the color thing is the same here with Leica looking more like Canon. The rest, I

truly believe, is a matter of customizing the D200.