70-200 VR and tripod collar

alex_ferraris

I have this lens and a D200 now, coming from a D70. As those using this lens know the " L" shaped

detachable foot of the

collar has two threaded holes, one closer to the camera body and the second farther. With the D70 I used

the farther hole, while I noticed that the combo with the D200, due to the heavier D200, is better balanced

when attached to tripod on the threaded hole nearer to the body. Being this hole in the same poosition as

the one DIRECTLY on the collar (with the " L" foot removed) my question is: is it possible to use this hole

without the foot or there is any reason not to? Is the " L" foot really needed? Is helping stability, reducing

shakes or else on tripod or monopod? Having any impact on VR on monopod?

Thanks

Alex

You don't need to use the supplied foot. Thankfully, Nikon has realized that their tripod foots often are compromised in rigidity and in many lenses they let you the option of using someone else's foot. I find this particular L foot works great for me, as long as I securely lock it to the lens.

Using some camera bodies and tripod heads, if you remove the foot, you may cause the bottom of the camera and the tripod head fight for the same space. Thus the L foot, which elevates the position. Also, the L foot has a larger area than the connecting point which might help with some quick release/head materials.

According to Nikon's documentation, VR should be turned on when using a monopod or an unlocked tripod head.

I've found that exact combination to work very well. That's a solid foot. Just spent some time last night shooting at a rodeo, with the lens on a monopod, using the "far" hole in the foot, and the D200 (with grip) hanging off of it. Very stable. And, for what it's worth, I find that the VR actually helps matters when on the monopod and following action. It sure did <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/6197432"><b>on this shot</b></a>.