Preliminary Progress Report: Novice+K100DTamron 18-250mm

shots worth sharing

I'm a rank amateur who just migrated to the DSLR world from an Olympus C5060

wide zoom. I'm still very much in exploration/learning mode. I'm very happy so

far: the K100D is very user-friendly.

I just got the Tamron 18-250mm zoom. I haven't put it through systematic

testing yet but this photo makes me feel pretty good about it.

http://www.photo.net/photos/xpultah%20shoots

Hi,

nice shot. I have a K10D and a I recently bought a Tamron 18-250. I am a bit puzzled b this lens. It is indeed very nice to use in macro, but the background is always very noisy and needs to be cleaned up in photoshop. I have tried in low and high light, and the results are the same. Do you experience the same fenomena on your K100?

Francois

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Francois.Texier/

Francois, try using a lower ISO setting. This lens is rather slow aperture, especially at the tele range, which may cause your camera to kick up the ISO.

Super-zooms (wide-to-long) are handy for times when needing to avoid lens changing, but also needing a large range. Also for people/events- family gatherings, holiday events, weddings, etc. because you can go from a group shot to zooming in for a close-up.

Dave, your lens gave you pretty decent results for your near-macro shot, especially for a super-zoom. But as time goes on you may find your expectations for many such shots are not quite there in terms of depth-of-field control and other qualities.

Michael, I think your advice to Francois is probably on target. My shot (which, by the way, is cropped to about 25% of the original image) was taken at ISO 200. Of course, I could get away with that given the brilliant sunlight.

My other lens is the 43mm f/1.9 Limited which, while a prime, is a light sponge--I've been blown away by the available light test shots I've gotten at dusk.

I suspect you're right that, somewhere down the road, I'll want more out of the Tamron than it can give (and, perhaps, than I can afford) but, for the time being, the weak link is the photographer, not the equipment.

Dave, you surprised me very pleasantly. A novice with a 43 Limited! Great choice! One of my favorites- probably is my very favorite prime. It is so versatile, useful in so many situations. So compact and convenient, with such quality. Very unique in a useful way.

Although it is not semi-macro in magnification, also try some various closeups with the 43 Limited at or near wide open, say from f/1.9 to f/4.

If doing that with a portrait shot, don't go in too tight with the 43. Good for a head/shoulders "bust", or a 1/2 body. Going too close for a tight portrait with the shorter 43, you can start to get some wide-angle perspective distortion of the face from being too close. Use the camera's center-only focus point for selective accuracy and focus on the eye. You can hold the focus using the shutter button down half way, then move the camera to compose your shot before firing. Experiment as to aperture. If your subject is turned to 3/4 angle, at f/1.9 the rear shoulder may not be sharp, etc. Use your DOF preview too.

I am sure you will get some very nice shots, isolating your main subject from the background.

Mike

Well, I'd read a lot of glowing comments about the pancake primes here so I figured I'd get one and see what all the fuss was about. It also seemed a good way to counter the complacency which might accompany a soup-to-nuts zoom.

I think the compactness has been a tad over-stated ("Is that a prime in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?") but, as I say, I love how it soaks up light. I'm thinking it will be my "go to" for indoor family photos, dispensing with an obtrusive flash. Also, I'm guessing it will be great for low light outdoor situations (early morning, evening, heavy canopy, etc.)

Dave, sometimes if I am going for maximum compactness, I leave the lens hood of the 43 off and use a regular Pentax 49mm cap. If doing that, you may want a protective multi-coated skylight filter on the lens also. I have then actually been able to shove camera with the lens on into a large, heavy jacket pocket, no problem.

Not the usual kind of thing associated with a DSLR, to be sure. In fact, a surprising thing, generally, seeing one reaching into a coat pocket and pulling out a DSLR, and with a lens capable of providing such fine quality at that! Just try such a thing with a Canon DSLR.

In warmer weather without the jacket, I am able to fit that combo conveniently into a sturdily-built "fanny" belt pack and again go about with no strap over my shoulders- even with the lens hood on. I can do likewise with the 21mm Limited, and also even with an FA28mm f/2.8, a handy semi-wide view on a DSLR, and exceptionally lightweight design- though not as small as the Limiteds. I still have room in the pouch to fit one more small lens in the leather drawstring pouch. So one could take 2 small lenses in this manner and even add a compact tele zoom, such as the Pentax 50-200mm, in a separate smaller belt case, to still be strap-free.

Yes, the 43 Limited is definitely also great for low light situations. Yes there are times when you'd want to avoid flash for effect in certain lighting. But do also not hesitate to employ flash judiciously as well... under many conditions and for effect. Learn to use your flash output comp to achieve a desirable fill when you want it while still preserving the presently occuring ambient lighting effect. Also use it in bright outdoor shots to fill in shadows from harsh overhead or side lighting. This can prevent dark faces in back-lit subjects, or shadowy faces from downward lighting, and from hats, and also for putting some catchlight in the eyes. I use fill flash for outdoor people shots more often than not. If you do use flash comp under these bright conditions, you may need to dial an INCREASE, because the meter might tend to back the flash down too much, if anything, from sensing the bightness.

The line, of course is an adaptation of a Mae West classic.

I found a LowePro neoprene camera case for the 43 lens which I can attach to the holster style bag or to my belt so I'm good. This removes all doubt about whether to take the 43 with me on our trip to England next month.

Michael, I hear what you're saying about flash from a technical point of view but it can also startle and alienate subjects and often creates a "skin-shine" issues. Flash management will be yet another area for exploration and learning. Again, I really appreciate the pointers!

Justin, The 43 was a sort of compromise between the 21 and the 70. I'll keep your perspective in mind as I put it to work.