2407. I noticed some time ago that manufacturers started making High Color

versions of monitors. Just recently dell has come out with the 2407 in an HC

model. Apparently they can reproduce 92% of RGB, unless i'm mistaken. The nice

thing is that they are about the same price as the normal 2407. Has anyone used

an HC monitor yet? I'm assuming the high color ones are considerably more

accurate seeing as the monitor doesnt have to pick a color thats close to the

actual.

Adam

I assume you mean Adobe (98), a.k.a., "aRGB". I'd be impressed if it produces that at that price. NEC's x90 series ranges up to 93.5% of aRGB for well more than double the dell at that size. On the other hand , if that monitor actually does that, and the panel can be cranked down far enough for good print-oriented calibration, I'll buy one tomorrow. Anyone have the real story?

A little more research later: the Dell produces, according to one source, 92% of the NTSC gamut. Embarrassingly enough, I don't know exactly how the NTSC gamut compares, though I think it's roughly aRGB (please correct me if I'm wrong - never had reason to work in NTSC). The panel uses an S-PVA panel instead of an S-IPS panel. Anyway, I'm not sure how much that all helps for comparison, but I'm curious about the differences.

NTSC actually appears to be a bit wider than Adobe RGB. At least in an NEC press release from 2 years ago about some new LCD, NEC claims that the monitor can reproduce "up to 105,7% of Adobe RGB and 101,0% of the NTSC gammut".

compare: http://www.nec-display-solutions.com/coremedia/generator/index,realm=Press__Home__Details,spec=x__uk__en,type=SV,docId=113342

bottom of the page

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone had any experience with this monitor yet? I'm very interested in getting it, because it can be bought for under $600. It seems like it would provide a good way to tide me over until LED monitors get significantly cheaper.

From what I can tell it's 8-bit and has very good color representation. It lacks in a few areas (e.g. PVA rather than IPS), but hey, it's vastly cheaper than the competition.

• 2 weeks later...
I purchased the Dell 2407 HC. It has beautiful color. My GretagMacBeth Photo SG system calibrated the monitor (Eye-One Pro and Match3 software). I got average DeltaE of .9. BUT, the colors look over saturated. Especially reds and orange. Just not realistic. I have gotten an RMA to return the monitor to Dell. But, really like it and would like to keep it if someone has figured out how to calibrate it correctly. Please share your monitor settings and calibration targets if you feel you have gotten good results. Thanks.

Like William Schadegg, I have a 2407HC from Dell and am also getting another from Dell on RMA. In my case though, I had bad results from a Huey Pro and the monitor even after Pantone replaced the calibration device. When using a more standard profile when attached to a Mac Book Pro, I am also seeing very saturated colors. I believe that this had been reported elsewhere in reviews of this monitor. I would appreciate knowing if the Spyder would also have good calibration results. The Eye-One and Huey Pro are supposed to share the same optical system from what I understood.

Jay S.