Drying LF negs in Maytag upright dryer?

We have one of those Maytag clothes dryers with a top portion so you can

hang/lay delicates to dry wrinkle-free. We have never used the top portion (and

probably never will, living in AZ where things dry as soon as you take them out ;^).

I was wondering if anyone had tried drying negatives in one of these? I want to use

it for 8x10 negs... the cabinet I have will only handle 10 4x5s or one 8x10. I know, I

have to try myself, but before I waste a sheet or two of film I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Put them in photoflo after you wash them, then hang them to dry (clothespins on a line inside a reasonably dust free room) and they'll be dry in 10-15 minutes. Or even in the sheet film hangers from your tank. Stay away from the dryer. Besides lint, if you laid them flat like a sweater you would get an imprint from the mesh drying surface.

Nobody seems to be listening to what I've said. I want to use the drying cabinet as a drying cabinet. It is a large cabinet and can easily handle two Jobos worth of 8x10s. I never said anything about laying negatives down on screens. And, again, the drying cabinet part has NEVER been used... only the drum portion below which is not connected to the top.

I don't know. Seems to me that both portions of the dryer will be vented out to the same vent. Sounds like Trouble (and I do mean that with a capital "T") to me. I'd say there's too much risk of lint stuck to those nice expensive sheets of 8x10 film and not something I'd even consider.

Richard,

Why not run a test on some junk film to see if any lint gets deposited?

Watch out for overtemps and reticulation, especially with Eastern European B&W film!

Here's a thought: Why not rig up some sort of garment storage bag (to protect from dust) and hang the 8x10's outside in your wonderful 115 dry heat?

Given that you're in AZ, why not hang the negs by clips from a shower rod, having mopped the bathroom and temporarily sealed any vents? The film will dry in minutes, right?

I get amazingly clean 35mm negs that way, where dust's a bigger issue than it was with my 8X10!

You're used to some sort of tiny cabinet, and contemplate a bigger cabinet, but will it serve a real purpose VS shower rod?

Maybe so, if you're suffering with an old, old leaky house or crumbling bathroom...been there...

I have a nice cabinet, just not built for 8x10. Handles ten 4x5s but is built for roll film (got it for free). I am moving more towards mostly 8x10 so I need a large cabinet. "old, leaky house/crumbling background"? Afraid not... this is "extreme North Scottsdale" ;^)