Online Print Ordering

I'm soon going to take photos at a wedding anniversary. Is there a web site

that will let you upload photos so that when other people view the photos and

order prints, you can set your own prices and they send you a check? If not,

what would be the best way to let them order prints through me (multiple

families will want photos)?

I'm signed up with www.photoshelter.com and am pretty happy with them. I liked them because: 1) i could design it however I wanted; 2) they do offer auto-fulfillment (upload photos, people order, you get paid); 3) they offer self-fulfillment for prints you want more control of; and 4) they've tied in PhotoQuote for stock and assignment stuff. I got it set up two weeks ago, got an assignment one week ago, and it's paid for a full year of the service. as an example of how customizable it is, look at some photo profiles from the home page for the "default" design, and then here is my custom design: http://gallery.kierselinsky.com

If you're going to be doing mostly weddings and do enough of them to support it, Pictage.com is an excellent choice. They run specials all the time but they also will offer specials and email your clients for ticklers, provide beautiful custom and standard albums for your images and many other optiions. I believe their rates are about $100 per month.

I use photoreflect.com in combination with the free version of Express Darkroom Web Edition. This version of the software is free and it essentially allows you to set up the website, control it and all the parameters through the Web Edition software and you pick the labs with the print options you want, set up the packages and price them. When an order comes in, you have the opportunity to edit and crop and add text or what ever you need to do on the images that are ordered, then send it to the lab. PhotoReflect collects the money from the client and charges about 18% total with the ecommerce and cc processing fees. They send you the balance after the order has shipped. The lab is charged against a credit card you give them. Keeps all of the process in one location. I like simplicity.

Clay

PhotoShelter.com looks awesome, Kier. Thanks for that info. I have my stuff with photo.net and my needs have outgrown their service. I'm going to sign up for the free version and try it out for a few days.

I have a question about pricing as well. I have never sold a picture, as I am just a hobbyist. I think I may have found an interesting business model, however, and now have someone asking to buy individual prints from an event we attended together. She wants 4 x 6 and 5x7s. What's a standard charge for that?

I usually print at MPIX.com and would like opinions on whether to have the prints mailed directly to her -- in which case all ties to me are lost -- or have them mailed to me then absorb the cost of re-mailing.

Thanks for the great info! This forum never lets me down.

Debbie

• 2 weeks later...
I use to use photoreflect.com, but found that their site and uploading tools had so many bugs that it wasn't efficient enough and resulted in a lot of extra work. I found instaproofs.com and am really loving that. It's the same kind of setup, but the technology is better and there's more to offer.