setting up out in the field

doug_foster

I have a Hasselblad 500cm. Changing lenses, backs, film, etc when walking

around out in the fields and forests can be a problem of protection for the

equipment and exposure of film to light. How do others handle this? Is there

some kind of lightweight equipment that can be set up to provide a small

working surface?

Ditto the vest, as gooffy and cliched as they look, they're great for filters, cable releases, lightmeters, all the bitsy stuff that can easily be misplaced or lost in tall grasses. I carry the "heavy hardware" in a Lowepro "street and field II" waist bag that is very comfortable, very mobile, and provides space for my rollei w/lens, and two additional lenses in side compartments. Because it isn't a backpack, I can change lenses/backs on the fly. MF is really compact compared to LF. For that, I have to use a backpack and open it all up on the ground.

When I shoot with the Hasselblad, I use a Tamrac Model 752 Super Photo Daypack which loads from the top and put the weight on the hips. Since it loads from the top, when I take it off I set it down on the ground and change the lenses and backs over it. I also use lens wraps for padding and when I change the lens I lay out a cloth, take off the lens caps on the cloth.

I cannot give you a direct URL.

Go to tamrac.com

Select Backpacks

Select search by "model number, name"

Look for model "752, Super Photo Daypack"

That will bring you to the description and photos

Steve

I use a backpack - a LowePro Photo Trekker to be specific. I lay it on the ground and open it up. All the equipment is right there, no layers or unpacking required. I just close it up to keep leaves and junk out and it has a rain jacket sufficient to protect it in a downpour (the bag alone is safe against fog or drizzles). My kit tops out at over 36 pounds - way too heavy for a shoulder bag.

There is no danger of fogging film simply by exchanging backs - the darkslide keeps the light out. If the darkslide gasket is damaged, you'll fog film even with the back attached. Change rolls in the shade, and you shouldn't have any problem with fogging.

I second the use of a backpack but have a conventional,non-photo backpack,an Osprey Atmos 35,with all of my kit inside this-'a Pentax 645n,plus lenses,filters and also a Gitzo 1228mk2 tripod plus 'ballhead!!!The camera and lenses are in a Billingham "holster" and Tamrac pouches.Now whilst the combined weight of the 'pack and holster etc. might be as heavy as some photo-backpacks,what I've found is that these are not specifically designed to be carried for long periods.A proper 'pack like the Atmos has different sized frames(mine is large,as befits my huge bulk,at 6'4" and 16 stones!)and sits properly on my back and with all the adjustments available,the 20 or so pounds of weight being carried on your hips.The Atmos also happens to be good for accessing stuff as the main compartment opens up fully,not just at the top of the pack.I have a waterproof cover that I use to lay the pack on if the ground is wet/muddy etc.

Like all things in life,your mileage may vary and you need to try these things out.My gear fits nicely into the Atmos but due the rigid frame of the 'pack,some people might find that they do not have enough room in this 35 litre enclosure.I've used a couple of photo-backpacks previously inc. Lowepro and Tamrac and this is by far the best solution to my landscaping needs.The fact that my tripod also fits inside the pack is a real bonus.

'Try before you buy though,you need to find what's right for you.

Louis.