Anyone using R lenses on the Digilux3?

Well the digilux2 has bit the bullet..the sensor crapped out.

I never much cared for the Digi2..

So now I'm going to upgrade to the Digilux3. Possible repeating the same error,

but what the heck, i'm a leicaholic...

anyone have any experience using R lenses on the Digilux3.

i have an assortment of R glass, and I'm wonder how easy it is to manually focus

with the Digilux3..do you use the viewfinder or the LCD?

Am i correct in stating the effective focal length will be equivalent to 2X

normal (35mm).

I would be equally interested in here's from folks who have manually focused R

glass on the Canon 5D, and how that experience works out.

I have a Pan L1 which is a close cousin of the Digilux 3. I use all my r lenses on it with a fotodiox adapter. The L1/D3 has confirm focus feature which helps focusing your R lenses. It's a waste of optics to me cause you only use half of your R glass - 50mm == 100mm (4/3rds aka half-frame). The 4/3rds viewfinder is also small so there you go. I'm still hanging on to all my R lenses + R8 and wait for an R10 solution in '08. I also used to mount R lenses on Canon DSLR and it's another incomplete solution - why ? Canon chip + Canon camera + Canon firmware is not the same as Kodak chip + Leica body/firmware + DMR . You'll find multiple threads on Canon /Leica lens solution in Fred Miranda forum.

I have 2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 bodies (same as the Digilux 3) and I too intended to use Leica R lenses with these bodies. Since I did not/do not own any R glass, I decided to first experiment with cheaper Nikkor and M42 lenses (Nikkor 35/2, Nikkor 105/2.5, Helios 44M-7 58/2, Pentacon 30/3.5, Jupiter 11 135/4). I purchased both a Nikon and an M42 adapter(s) from Fotodiox. All 5 lenses on both of these bodies exibit the same gross front focusing error when using the viewfinder. Though I once agreed with others that the focus confirmation light was useful, that was from a couple of test shots at about 3 feet when I first tried one lens using FC. In real world shots the FC light has proven to be 100% worthless with my lenses using the Fotodiox adapters. I suspect that these adapters may well be giving a wrongful registration distance. Using live view I can focus any of these lenses with perfect precision, but the slowness of using liveview makes this all not a very practical way to work. I can only say that at this point I'm very glad that I did not invest in any Leica R glass for using with these 2 bodies. Eventually I'll figure out what is going on and I'll be able to correct for it... but for now all of my manual focus lenses are worthless to me.

Owen

Yes, I'm using my R lenses (previously on a R7) onto a Digilux 3 (traded off a mint CL and other things).

THe digilux offers a focus confirmation with the R lens (which ever the adapter you have) when the firmware 2.0 is downloaded into the camera.

For your information, same thing with the Pana Lumix.

The firmware is free from Leica.

THe color rendering on Jpeg and leica R is a bit better with the revision 2 on the firmware.

Thee focus is rather easy to do in these circumstances.

Enjoy!