nikon 18-35 D vs. Nikon 18-70 DX

ptkeam

18-70 is a great lens, but buying the other just to get better performance at 18 seems the

wrong way to go. I'd go for the 10-20 from Sigma or the 12-24 from Tokina first. It would

complement your existing lens rather than be redundant for much of its range.

Generally speaking, zooms tend to be at their weakest on the two extreme ends of thier zoom range. So if you indeed want excellent performance at 18mm, a 12-24mm zoom should be a better choice than another zoom that also starts from 18mm, not to mention that a 12-24 gives you more room on both sides of 18mm.

The down side is that the Nikon 12-24 is expensive. If you don't need AF-S, as the Nikon 18-35 is also not AF-S, the Tokina 12-24mm/f4 can be an option.

Peter the 18-35 lens is a nice lens and slightly better when pixel peeping but neither will this be any relevant improvement over the 18-70mm lens nor is it any faster.

I found a slight sample variation when I tested three 18-70 lenses so it might be worth a try and select one 18-70 lens if you ever get a chance.

The 12-24mm Nikkor or Tokina are better alternatives. So is the 17-55mm f2.8 Nikkor. Remember that the "kit" zoom 18-70mm offers "remarkable performance for the money" that seemed impossible a few years ago.

A cheap alternative would be the 20mm AIS f2.8 or the AFD version. These are small and light. The AIS is slightly better but usually cheaper than the AFD - a good choice if you can live without light metering and AF. At 20mm the costly Nikkor and Tokina zooms are about equal in optical performance.