Zeiss folder

I have a folder which I love to use because of the size of the negative, my

only problem is that the roll film sometimes tends to lose the tension after

being in the camera for a few days, this is not a problem if I place and shoot

a rool within a couple of hours.

The problem manifest itself when I remove the film from the camera and light

hits the outer edges of the film, is there a way to keep the tension on the

film or do I just have to unload the camera in a dark room?

Thanks

Hugh

You might try sticking a felt washer to the ends of the spool, just something to add a little friction as the film is pulled of the spool. I find the I get better film flatness, if I wait till I going to take a photo, to wind the camera. I have several of these great litte cameras, my 6x9 is the worst for having the film not lay flat,and my 6x6 the best.

Hello Hugh, I just went to a store that has a selection of coasters/felt pads that go under your chair legs so they don't scratch hard wood floors. There are some very cheap ones that are thin. I found these the best. Some even have a hole in the middle which is helpful. Just cut them to fit.

You just need a little bit of friction on the spool to create tension on the film and hold it flat.

Hugh, I have a Zeiss 6X6 folder that functions without any problem no matter how long the film lies unused. My concern with a felt pad would be the tiny fibers floating around inside the camera, possibly contaminating the film or working themselves into the lens and shutter areas. I think I might focus on adjusting the preassure plate to provide a little more drag on the film as it gets wound. Maybe someone knows better?

The film and backing paper where thicker in the times when these cameras were designed. One solution would be to carefully bend out

the flat springs so that they press more firmly against the paper backing. I had this problem with Mess Ikonta 524/16 once and it helped. I think slide film is thickest and B/W the thinnest.<div>00LjC2-37264184.JPG.c34b9fcc2debd89a3e0922a6f5d19789.JPG</div>

I have that problem with a couple folders and a few box cameras I use. It's forced my habits

to change a bit. I used to advance the frame after every picture but now stop short 1/2" or so

before the next number appears. Then next shot I have to remember to do that extra turn to

tighten the tention on the roll and put the frame[number] in place. More than few shots have

overlapped in getting accustomed to this but I don't mind those happy accidents.

I just advance just past the number after each shot, then advance to the the next frame before I shoot the next. I got into the habit doing this years ago to keep myself from double exsposing.

On one of my folders I have glued a small piece of sponge rubber under the metal brake on the feed roll also. It helps keep the film tight against the backing plate so it stay flat.