Approximately when is the peak of fall foliage? I have always preferred being

in the forest at times others consider past the peak with some leaves down and

more sunlight reaching the tree structure. I suspect it may be a challenge to

be there when it is not overly hazy.

I would expect the scenery along the Blue Ridge Parkway south of Shenandoah to

be gorgeous; however, it was obvious with just one visit, that there is

unlimited opportunity just along Skyline Drive. Coming from Pennsylvania, it is

a relatively short 3.5 hour drive. While the Smoky Mountain NP is more

desirable, my desire is to go back to Shenandoah NP as it is much closer.

Sorry I can not share any photos as unfortunately I do not yet have a digital

camera.

I was there a few times in the fall back in the 80's and early 90's. It is a wonderful place. Fall during peak foliage is very busy but if you go a little later, it is less crowded. I was there in late October/early November and mid October. I was also there one spring. Loved it.

The Smokies are the most crowded as one would expect and Cades Cove can be very difficult to get in and out of due to traffic. As you move away from the Smokies north the traffic gets less. I believe you will be fine at Shenandoah.

I was on Skyline Drive just last week and it was beautiful, with virtually no traffic at all. Peak autumn is supposed to be around October 10-20 according to one of the guide books I was looking at. I haven't been there during that season so I can't speak to the traffic but I would expect there to be a lot. I've only been to Shenandoah/Skyline three times but I think to do serious pictures you need to get off Skyline Drive and onto the trails. Some of the overlooks give a nice panoramic vista, but once you've shot one or two they all look a lot alike. They sell a $2 guide to waterfalls in the gift shops, and some of the falls are only a two-mile roundtrip walk. They also have other hiking guides. Found a great photo book by Ian Plant, web site www.ipphotography.com who has shot the park extensively and his work is very good. Might want to take a look for ideas.

I've been often to the Smokies, Blue Ridge Pkwy., etc. in the peak season, and weekday is MUCH better. Mondays through Thursdays especially, as some folks like a jump on the weekend

Post-peak is even better have been in the Shenandoah, and even the Whites up in NH after the "leaf peepers" have gone, and it's still beautiful, prices drop, you can actually get hotel rooms and restaurant seating

Personally, I don't think Shenandoah's fall foliage is that spectacular, especially when you compared it to the northeast, or even the Great Smokey. The foliage tends to just go from green to yellow to brown (lots of White Oak trees). You will not see too much red and orange hues from maples. I hike the northern half of Shenandoah all the time, but I usually avoid the park during peak foliage season. Anyway, to answer your question, traffic is not that bad on weekdays during the foliage season, even weekend traffic is tolerable. Traffic tends to be terrible on route 66 east of Gainsville, VA, on the way back into DC.

This does not answer your question, but I'll offer it anyway as a possible alternative. You might consider the eastern part of West Virginia, perhaps an hour or so west of Skyline Drive. The whole Seneca Rocks/Spruce Knob/Canaan Valley/Dolly Sods area is quite scenic at any time of the year.

Thank you all for your comments. This is all very useful information. We will not hesitate to visit Shenandoah during week days in fall. I suspected the trees were not as red as they are in say, the New England states, but that is fine with me. I enjoy the forest locally in Pennsylvania, year-round, and each season has its own beauty. There is much to be explored in the interior of the park, and I don?t feel part of the place until I ditch the vehicle and start walking.

I also appreciate Loren?s comments about Canaan Valley/Dolly Sod which I have heard from others over the years, and that will surely be on our must-visit list as well.

The park can be very beautiful during the fall but it varies (sometimes dramatically) from

year to year. Last year for instance, the color was great and it lasted for quite a while. The

year before(I believe) however, the weather was warmer, the leftovers from a tropical

storm moved through late and the leaves just turned brown and fell off.

The leaves are usually best when there has been normal rain, then cool nights and some

sunny days right around the time of changing. Those sunny days that help with the leaf

color make photography tough as it is gets very clear,bright and contrasty in the Fall.

Last year the peak leaf time was about the middle of October. However, I have seen the

peak as late as Halloween. That though is for the top of the mountains. As you drive along

Skyline or the Blue Ridge pkwy, you will ascend and descend in and out of color, if you are

there when the top of the mountain is at peak. To drive from the top of the mountain to

the bottom might only take 15 min on one of the side roads. However, The leaves at the

top peak about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks before the leaves at the bottom.

I think Skyline drive gets more traffic than the Blue Ridge Parkway. That could be

because one end is close to D.C. and the burbs. Skyline is nice, but I prefer the Blue Ridge

Parkway. There are a few reasons for this (I have some favorite areas off side roads, etc)

but the main one has to do with where I can photograph. On the parkway, I can pull off

the road anywhere I want and the rangers are ok with it. On Skyline drive they try to limit

you to the pre designated turn outs. It makes it much harder to make the photographs I

would like if I am not hiking.

Last, during the week in the mountains it is usually not crowded. And, on the kind of

days when I like to photograph the most, there are very few cars. I try to wait for some

clouds and even fog. If you are there very early in the morning you might be all by

yourself, except for me of course but there is a lot of space........ Also, before noon is less

crowded then after if there is to be a crowd.

Fall in the mountains are my favorite time and place of the year in VIrginia. When things

come together right it is kind of magical. I hope it turns out to be a great year and you

enjoy your trip.