For years I've been using an Epson 1280 and loving it. I need to print as large

as the 13 X 19 inches that it allows, I like the all-in-one color cartridge,

but using the cheaper non-Epson inks to save $ has caused the printer head to

clog beyond cleaning.

So, I'm looking for another printer that might share some of the features that

I just described but with a printer head that CAN be cleaned when it gets

clogged. Is there such an animal? Or - what would be a good choice of another

printer to print 13 X 19?

I switched from being an Epson devotee to a Canon printer a year or so back - and I've not regretted it for a moment.

I'm using the Canon i9950 (prints borderless to A3+); it uses 8 cartridges, which I find no problem at all - quite the reverse.

The printer itself cost me more than the Epson equivalent at the time, but i've recouped that many times over due to the (much) lesser cost of the carts (about 1/3 here in the UK); Quality is fantastic even with third party inks (which cost next to nothing!).

It took a little while to get used to the different software settup, but no real hassle.

I use the Firewire connection to my Mac, and can simultaneously have it connected to a PC laptop via USB.

Based on my experience with a 2200, I recommend you get its replacement, the 2400. You must also mend your ways.

I find that the pigment-based 2200 has much less tendency to clog than my older, dye-based 1270. The 1270 would start banding after a week of disuse, whereas the 2200 has never (knock on wood) had any problems with clogging with much longer periods of disuse.

That aside, you bear responsibility for most of your problems by using non-Epson ink. My 1270 always responded to changing the ink cartridges when the cleaning cycle was not effective - albiet an expensive solution (it is permanently retired now).

Individual ink cartridges are more economical in the long run. The colors are not used at the same rate. I tend to use twice as much magenta and cyan as yellow and black. I keep a couple sets of cartridges on hand, and only replace them when they stop working.

The modern pigment based Epson printers have fewer clogging problems than the older models. I've used R800/R1800 for two years and in that time I've twice cleaned the heads explicitly.

I don't think using non-Epson inks for color printing is a cool idea. Epson provides nice inks with nice profiles for printing with all their papers and you don't need to calibrate the ink/paper combination yourself. Ink cost? What about the cost of the time you spend preparing the files and printing? What about archival properties? Who bothers to do proper testing of the archivality of 3rd party inks with all the papers you might want to use? Nobody I suspect.

As for printer choice: 1400 is dye based, R1800 is pigment based with high saturation inkset, R2400 is pigment based with K3 inkset (more consistently neutral colors but with narrower gamut). Pro 3800 is larger than these, has K3 inks & lower ink cost per print area but the printer and ink cartridges (which are large) cost more.

Dye based = prints fade within months or years, pigment based = prints last decades without noticeable fading.

My printer of choice is the R1800 - I love its high resolution (smallest drop size) and potential for saturated colors. When I do black and white printing I will purchase a 3rd party K7 inkset for just that and do them in a batch. Have not yet done so. R1800 inks are available locally while R2400 inks generally have to be ordered online.

If you have the money and the need for larger prints, the latest generation from Epson, the

3800, which I have and love, or the newer Canon or even HP are strong contenders. The

$1300 3800 comes with a full set, or $500 worth of ink. Some printers come with starter,

smaller cartridges. Competition is good for consumers. The day of Epson total dominance

of the high end printer market is over and the newer Canon and HP offerings are quite

competitive.

I use my 3800 mostly for black and white. It is the first non-huge (4800), "reasonably"

priced Epson that will do 16x20 prints with extraordinarily high quality and I have printed

in the darkroom for over 40 years. If you don't need the larger size, and for many it's more

economical to send out the rare large print, the 2400 is an excellent choice though the HP

9180 (I could be wrong on the model number, sounds terrific as well.

If possible check out all three brands, there are lots of reviews on the web but as always,

consider the sources.

Good luck.

Eric

I've just placed an order on the HP B9180. I'm really inexerience regarding printers, but it seems a very decent model. Check out the reviews at photo-i: a comparison vs an Epson and Canon is currently on the front page, and there is an in-depth review in the regular review section.

Ilkka, You must have superman's X-Ray eyes or your using a magnifying glass to look at prints. I've never seen any dots on my HP prints, nor has anyone else complained about dots. I just examined my last HP8750 color print "with my eyes," and I cannot see a single dot. How are you able to see dots?

All the current 13x19 printers will crush his 1280. So I wouldn't worry about "visible dots". (Actually I just picked up the stack of photos off my b9180 and can't see any dots. So I don't know where that came from. Using a loupe?)

To the OP: If you print a lot and want to save money on ink you'll want to consider the epson 3800. 17" printer with much bigger ink cartridges. Otherwise the HP B9180, Canon 9000 and 9500 (the newer ones), epson 1800 and 2400 and the new dye ink epson 13x19 are all good.

I totaly agree with Nick White re the Canon i9950. It is every bit as good as the Epson (I used to use an Epson and the small cartridges and blocked heads drove me mad). I use third party inks which are very cheap and work fine. It has many features including the ability to print on to DVDs and CDs (the white surface ones). Excellent printer for photography.

Thanks to all -

In the meantime Epson sent me a replacement printer, very quickly.

I'm still uncertain about whether the 3rd party ink is at fault or if even Epson inks would clog the printer head too. I've been using those inks for a long time, though not without occasional problems. I've a friend with the same printer and the same inks, who has had no problems. Go figure. The saga continues.

"Ilkka, You must have superman's X-Ray eyes"

If I recollect, Ilkka is very short sighted. I am as well, and the one benefit of the condition is very good close-focus, at the expense of every other distance being out-of-focus. So, if there are dots to be seen, we'll be seeing them. ;)