Group Shot

ernie.grimes

I have been ask to take a group shot of 400 US military soldiers that will be

present at our church patriotic outside celebration this weekend... these men

and women are being deployed to Iraq

This will be outside and full sun... I would love to hear your recommendations

D200

Tamron 28-75 2.8

Nikor 50 (1.8), 18-70 (3.5), 70-300 (F4-5.6)

Thanks Ernie

Although I'm a staunch digital person, I think you should give some serious thought to using medium format for that many people.

I think there are just too many people in one photo for digital, in fact even with film, you're going to be so far away you won't be able to identify anyone in the shot.

Either way, please post a sample of your final shot, we'd all love to see it.

Good Luck,

Jim Marby

Hmm...medium format's not a bad idea. I just did a group shot of 100 with a 30D & 10-22 and I can't image quadrupling that and getting them all in a 18 while still recognizing them. I'm all digital too but I'd probably rent a med. format for this shot.

Good luck!

Will the soldiers already be in formation? If so, Ask the First Seargeant to have 10 squads of 40, at "Close Interval, Dress". Have the first few rows (squads) take a knee. The first sgt is your ally here...with a few commands (with regards to height) he can make it look structured. For the light, make sure you position (if possible)the formation so that the sun/light sweeps across form one side to another. Use fill light to take out shadows. As a former (now retired) Army guy please feel free to email me and call. You'd be suprised how quick you could actually put this together...Is there a place where you can get higher then them. Finally bracket many shots!

Since they will be in full sun, I'd use the sun as my main light. Filling with flash is out of the question unless you rent some very powerful flashes, so make sure the sun is on their faces, and filling eye sockets as much as possible. Squinting is the main enemy, so tell people to close their eyes and then open on the count of three. Take lots of pictures. How big is the final print? I'd use a medium format camera only if the final print is going to be bigger than 8x10. I'd also get them as close together as possible--getting up high is good--otherwise, you will need steps or some other method of creating levels, or you won't see the people standing in the back. The ideal thing would be shooting down on them from a second story balcony, with the sun shining full on them--everyone raise their faces and open eyes at the same time (when you are pressing the shutter button).