Wedding this Weekend "Second"

pia

I am shooting my second wedding this weekend. It is my first outdoor wedding

and in Florida this time of year can create multiple challenges. I have several

nikon lenses, 28-70 2.8, 12-24 4.0, 70-200 2.8, vr, 28-105, 4.5. My question

is, I also have a nikon 50mm, 1.8 prime lens. It is tack sharp. Could I use

that lens for the ceremony and processional shots or would you suggest one of

my other lenses. I have D80 an D200 and sb 600 and sb800 flashes as well.

Thanks

Peg

Shooting in FL and being outdoors I always go with the 70-200Vr during the ceremony (another body with a 17-55dx also). That lens is better than the 1.8 and yout won't need 1.8 outside. You can work far from the ceremony so not to be as intrusive as the 50mm would. I would use the 12-24 for some wide shots on your other camera. I don't like to fumble with lens changes, you can miss a key moment in 20 seconds being as new two this as you are. Also listen so you can be in the right spot for the kiss.

Given that you will be outdoors and you won't need the 1.8 fstop for nat. light shots, I would go with a lens that will give you more flexibility stopped down to give you additional sharpness. Primes give you excellent sharpness, but a good zoom can give you just as good results while maintaining flexibility. The only catch, is that most zooms don't perform near as well 'wide open' as a prime will wide open. I dont know anything about nikon lenses, but the rules of light are the same across the board. Assuming your 50 1.8 is the D lens..these are your resulting figures for MTF Resolution (photozone.de) if it helps you make your decision:

1.8: 2022.5 Center/ 1247 border (Very low)

2.8: 2164.5 center/ 1614 Border

4.0: 2250 center/ 1852 Border

5.6: 2122.5 center/ 1963.5 border

The sweet spot for your 50 prime is f 4.0/5.6 in order to keep good border resolution

Your 28-70 2.8:

Results are at 40mm because they are the closest to your prime I could find

2.8: 1972 center/ 1734.5 border

4.0: 2164 center/ 1775.5 border

5.6: 2177 center/ 1960.5 border

If you look at those figures.. since you dont need to shoot f1.8..use your zoom... better border resolution if you need to drop to 2.8 and the center resolution figures are VERY close. at f/4.0 your zoom outperforms your prime in border resolution and the difference in center resolution is negligible. They are very close in resolution at 5.6. Even at f/8.0 they are pretty close, both having center/border resolutions over 2000.

So...if sharpness is your only concern... stick to your zoom because it has the most flexibility with no forfeit of resolution. :)

Stull

12-24 for processional (to give a sense of space), switch to 28-70 and be up front for when father gives bride away and hugs, etc. Then retreat to back and use 70-200 for shots down the center isle, tight shots of ring exchange, side tight shots of B&G faces and expressions (each individually), switch back to 12-24 for recessional and hugs afterwards. Forget using the 50 1.8. It is going to be bright outdoors, and you will be using your lenses at F8 or so. Better to have the flexibility of a zoom. You have nice lenses, use them to their fullest.