Naming your business

rachael

I'm starting a photography business on the side and I'm wondering what

everyone's thoughts are on naming your business. I've thought of using my

initials or something more creative like 'Right Eye Photography'. I want the

name to be non-discriptive to a certain type of photography. I guess what I'm

wondering is from a marketing stand point what's better, your name or something

more creative. Any thoughts or experince is appreciated!

Thanks!

Creativity aside, there are two ways of looking at at business names, especially the self-proprietary kind. Purely from a business standpoint, using a name other than your own opens up possibility of selling it in the future when it becomes very successful, if you get what I mean. Look at all the corporates it's rarely a personal name except when you're in the fashion industry.

Photography is somewhat in the arts/fashion world and very often people use personal names as a branding of some sort. It's very competitive and everyone wants their name heard and marketed. I chose JAN SHIM PHOTOGRAPHY, SHIMWORLD and two web sites with these names for this reason - it's a personal service, and you have that heightened sense of responsibility, commitment and reputation at stake.

I think that the name of the business isn't so much the issue as the fact that far far far too many people use that as the main headline for their advertising (in yellow pages etc) ...

... and it JUST DOESN'T WORK.

First law of advertising states that: "If they don't read your headline, then they're not going to read the rest of the ad" - and yet time and time again we open up the yellow pages or look at the classifieds and see:

"Burt Smith Photography"

"Jan Brown Photography"

"Jack Smitt Photography"

I'm sure it gives the photographer in question the "warm fuzzies", but it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to diferentiate you from your competitors.

Then they go on to list the types of photography that they do ...

* Portrait

* Glamour

* Weddings

... the net result being that any prospect may just as well close their eyes and stick a pin in the page.

I'd suggest chosing a name that conveys something tangable - and then create diferentiating headlines for your ads - highlight quantifiable points of difference, and don't forget risk-reversal with (at a minimum) some good guarantees.

For what it's worth, I took 1st dibbs on "Passionate-about-Photography" in the attempt to convey that it was something I cared about - with the implication that when someone is passionate about something they tend to put in an extra effort because it's something they take pride in - and getting a good result what-ever-the cost/effort is just something that has to be done.

<i>First law of advertising states that: "If they don't read your headline, then they're not going to read the rest of the ad" - and yet time and time again we open up the yellow pages or look at the classifieds and see:<P>

"Burt Smith Photography" . . . </i><P>

Most wedding and portrait jobs don't get booked from someone opening up the yellow pages and choosing a photography business with a snappy name--most jobs get booked through referrals. Lots of people who don't know or remember your business name will know your name.<P>

Another potential problem is that a name that sounds clever and cute to half the people might sound silly and unprofessional to the other half.

Mike Dixon wrote:

"Most wedding and portrait jobs don't get booked from someone opening up the yellow pages and choosing a photography business with a snappy name--most jobs get booked through referrals. Lots of people who don't know or remember your business name will know your name.

Another potential problem is that a name that sounds clever and cute to half the people might sound silly and unprofessional to the other half."

I couldn't agree more.