pictures from santorini - greece

gregman

Here comes a little gallery with pictures from the greek island santorini.

<a

href="http://www.pixelplay.net/personnal/photography/santorini/index.html"><B>See link here</B></a>

I would like to have feed back on this pictures, how do you like them, any

favorite, and do you find the treatment "over the top".

All D70 with 18-70mm (kit)lens + polarizer

Lightroom treated only (no PS).

<a

href="http://www.pixelplay.net/personnal/photography/santorini/index.html">here</a>

ps: and yes it was my honeymoon trip ;)

thanks!

hi Greg,

You got really nice pictures.. I really like the donkey picture.. the only thing I may criticize is

that I found the vignetting effect pronounced more than necessary in some of the pic's. That

is just my view..

Gokce

As someone uses the D70 and 18-70mm DX lens combination a lot I am pleasantly surprised that your images show just how good it can get.

However, as already pointed out the vignetting is quite bad. I use the Kenko PRO1 D CPL and it's nowhere near as bad as yours.

What CPL are you using?

Thanks for sharing your photos. Love to go there one day myself.

As a postscript I just noticed the grece_voyageDeNoces_071.jpg image and the vignetting is fairly serious on the bottom right hand corner.

With my images the worse spot seems to be in the right hand TOP corner when shooting in the portrait position.

Does anyone know why it's not as pronounced in the landscape position?

thks for the nice comments and constructive critisms! Vigneting is certainly way too hight, as pointed out on other forums. It's a post treatment vigneting, just to make images look a bit more dramatic & emphatize the center of the image. I'll lower the amount of vigneting before printing those. FYI I use a Sigma EX multi coated CPL

the vignetting didnt seem to me as a result of polarizer or lens. I have the same lens and

even when used with normal frame polarizer, you dont get this much vignetting. It seems to

me Greg specially added the vignetting effect.

Great shots - I still like using my D70s with that lens. Your vignetting can also be tackled within Lightroom under the Develop section and Lens Correction. Also, just to point out if you own version 1.0 of Lightroom there is a free update to 1.1 at:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

The update has a neat additional controller called Clarity (same as in Adobe Camera RAW 4.1) that controls local contrast, it is phenomenal for landscape and architecture shots like these and fun to play with. Congratulations on your honeymoon at such a beautiful destination!

Greg, maybe it is none of my business, but how many pictures did you take to get 42 this great, because they are great, and I am always curious about the processes we each use. I would guess I would have to take at least 200 or 300 or more using film, still with no guarentees.

Ditto what Gokce said.....the donkey with the man slightly out of focus behind was my favorite. I found the vignetting somewhat overdone, but for a few shots, it makes it interesting. Overall, you have a beautiful collection of shots! I think I would have included more people shots...

Cheers

I love Santorini. It has been 8 years since I visited it. I traveled with a cruise load of tourists, and it was noisy and colorful when everyone disembarked to visit the city. As the day wore on, people began to return to the ship. Two buddies and I chose to stick around until the last call. Then it appeared as if all the stores suddenly closed, and all the street vendors suddenly disappeared. Your Image #15 brought back memories of this feeling of loneliness and desertion.

Your photos are charming and they carry the simple elegance and the varying moods of the island. My favorite is the one with the sunset and the windmill on the right. However, I don?t recall seeing windmills. I probably did not explore far enough.

Thanks,

Mary

Hi mark, I took +/- 500 pictures on the week, limited by the amount of CF card I was carrying. Some picture in my gallery are picked into a serie of +/- 3 shots, some are first and single attempts only. I tend to try not to shoot too much of the same subject but to concentrate more on getting a good picture at the first time -- it forces me to try to focus on the quality--. That gallery contains only pictures of landscape etc, but I of course, I took pictures of me & my wife or my wife lonely in the 500 number.

Thks again to the others for the nice comments. I would like to shoot more people but I have a problem with that. I absolutely do not like to approach a local guy resting below a three and "steal" his portrait without even knowing how to thank him or to say some kind words in his language. I think those people must often be pissed by the mass of tourist...