lens that came with my camera (Canon Digital Rebel XTi) and I'm looking to get

a longer lens to help blur the background more, reach farther and a faster

lens as well. I also shoot with a 430 EX external flash mounted on a flash

brachet. How will a longer lens affect the current outcome I've become

accustomed to?

Thanks!

Kacy - this site might help.

www.the-digital-picture.com

that said, if you have $575, get the 17-85mm IS and get the 50mm 1.8. the 17-85 is a great general overall lens with a great range and IS and gives decent background blur.

the 50mm 1.8 is fast, and gives great background blur.

if you have the money, just get the 17-55 IS and the 85mm 1.8 together and you will have a great combo. but that would be around $1300 or so.

>How will a longer lens affect the current outcome I've become >accustomed to?

A good lens can change everything for the better - how much light you need to shoot, your style, the impact of your images. find a friend or go to a store and fondle the 17-85 or the 50mm 1.8 and see how you like them.

by the way, kacy, do you have a second body? I hope that you do. if not, give up your dreams of a second lens and get a second body. its only a matter of time before your camera goes crazy on you when you least expect it...

conrad

The 17-85 isn't that much better than the kit lens, from an image quality standpoint.

Save your pennies and buy the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS. The quality will blow you away.

Also, get yourself a 70-200mm f2.8. I find I never use it without a tripod or monopod, so I didn't get IS.

Each of these lenses will be more expensive than your camera. But good glass is worth it.

Later,

Paulsky

Almost forgot...Here's a review site for almost every lens made:

http://photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

The only nice things they have to say about the 17-85 is that it is image stabilized, and it has a useful range. Other than that, it's got lots of distortion at the wide end, lots of chromatic abberation, and not that great on resolution. I only used mine for two weddings. I can't sell it though, because my daughter likes it for a general purpose walkaround lens.

Later,

Paulsky

My most favorite lens in the whole world is the 70-200 2.8 IS L series lens. I use it 75% of the time. I love it. Make sure you start lifting weights before you try to use it all day though. :) My next favorite is the 24-70 2.8 L series lens which I absolutely hated until I had it calibrated. It's running a close second behind my big lens. You could also try the cheapie (but goodie) 50 1.4. Can't go wrong with that one.

I've been using a Sigma 24-135 2.8-4.5 and LOVE it. I've actualklky shot wedding and never had to change lenses. Priced around 450.00 but you can find them used in the 300.00 range. I haven't seen them in a Sigma add in a while so they may have discontinued this one

Steve

• 2 weeks later...