Confused between Canon 300 f4 IS VS 400 f4 IS DO with 2x extender

bhavesh

Hey guys,

it would be great help if you could guide me and share your views on following

questions.

1) which one is better (for nature/bird photography) 300 f4 or 400 f4 DO?

2) How will 400 f4 DO on 2x tele converter/extender?? will results be

satisfactory??? and which converter to buy???

Bhavesh, a response from an amateur. Earlier this year I bought the 400 f4 DO, ignoring all the advice I received. I was interested in trying to combine close-up shots of small birds with maximum portability since all my photography is hand-held. I have to say I am delighted with what the lens can do. I opted for the 1.4 extender which I've found to be very adequate. If you go to my website, which you'll find in my profile, the Fox, Kestrel, nuthatch and Kingfisher photos other than the first were all taken with that lens. On the Bird page, the Jay, nuthatches, bullfinches and many others also. The lens even works very well for macro-type close-ups of dragonflies etc. You can walk around with it all day. Regards

John

Also, consider the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS. It's heavier/bigger and uses push-pull zoom, but has good image quality for a zoom, great range, and not too pricey.

My longest lens is the 70-200 f2.8 IS, but I'm also looking for something longer. Particularly since switching from 1.6 crop to full frame.

For birds there's no question that a 400 mm lens is more useful than a 300 mm lens

nearly all of the time. The one advantage of the 300/4 (besides MUCH lower cost) is that

it focuses considerably closer -- you will need extension tubes to use the 400 DO for

frame-filling shots of small birds.

Clearly you will get better optical results with a 1.4X than with a 2X. Also, unless you

have a 1-series body, you will loose AF with the 2X. Apparently somewhere in the Canon

literature is a statement that the 400 DO + 2X will NOT AF, even with a 1-series body.

However, Art Morris, among others, reports that it does AF nicely with a 2X. I'd stick with

the Canon converters.

As you may have inferred from one of the comments, the 400 DO has an uneven

reputation. Some copies were reported to be quite good, others apparently were pretty

mediocre, and from what I've read (never used that lens)

even a good one may produce unattractive highlights. Some users say that the more

recent samples are consistently good. It's certainly a lot of money for a 400/4 lens.

If you are REALLY interested in birds, I'd recommend getting the 500/4 IS instead of the

400 DO. Just a bit more expensive, but superb optically, with substantially

more reach than a 400. But, it's a lot bigger.

Well, the only two reasons for opting 400 f4 DO were i'll get more closer to the birds and other its much more lighter in weight, even fits in bag pack... so i'm mostly planning to by 400 DO..

but has anyone of you used 400 with 2x?? does anyone have some pics taken with it..?? though some ppl told me that AF works even with 2x.. but it would be great if i can have some one's view who has actually used 400 with 2x...???

yaa.. i'll be using 400 f4 with my canon 400d slr cameraa..., so, again where i'm getting conused is

whether to buy 300 f4 @ 2x extender or 400 f4 @ 1.4 x??

if 400 f4 doesn't work with 2x.. than 300 f4 @ 2x(around 600 @ f8) is giving my more focal lenght at 400 f4 @ 1.4 x(around 560 @ f5.6).

its the biggest dilemma right now!!!

Bhavesh,

300 v/s 400 is a no brainer. The 400 D wins hands down. The 400D will not focus with 2X TC with either combo.You will have to buy the mark series for that. The 400 is an awesome lens, if you want to handhold the combination w/o extenders. With extenders , unless you have great light on u r side, I would not recommend hand holding it. Personally , I would go for the 500f4IS for birding. Almost the same price and the IQ is just too good.

All the best with your decision.