Contax 85mm F1.4 +1.4x Mutar III on 5D...is this possible?

cimino55

Hello,

Currently, I have a Canon 5D. I was just wondering if it is possible to put a 1.4x Mutar III teleconverter

on a Contax 85mm F1.4 lens. I am just looking for a little bit of versatility. Has anyone done this?

Regards,

Adam

You will not need a 1.4x for that particular lens. Yes, it is that sharp! At f1.4 and f2 it is as soft as many 50 and 85mm f1.8 lenses, but at f2.8 it turns into one of the sharpest lenses on earth! So instead of adding a 1.4x just shoot it at f2.8 and crop. I have owned several Canon FD L lenses and currently the other sharpest lens that I have ever owned is the Nikon 200/2 AI. While the Nikon is sharper at f2, by f2.8 the Contax Zeiss is noticeably sharper. The Zeiss is probably designed to be soft wide open for more flattering portraits. Colour rendition is also incredible. I noticed with some portraits over the week-end that I did not need the usual colour correction or saturation that most of my other lenses require, and much less sharpening was required.

I suspect that cropping from the 85 at f2.8 will be sharper than almost any 100 or 105mm lens. Likely the only lenses that may beat it are any of the 135mm f2 lenses out there, like the Canon EF 135/2 L.

I use my Contax (Zeiss) 85/1.4 on a 10D.

Thanks John, Matt, Wolf for your responses. I just bought the "Bokeh Monster" and I am

currently selling my Canon EF 135mm F2L on that auction site. It has never even been out of

the box. Anyway, once that sells, my next purchase is the Contax 85mm F1.4. I can't wait.

Thanks again,

Adam