how much is enough...at the reception

shaun_carter

this questions is basically aimed at how long do you stay at the reception. do

you walk out with the bride and groom (stay till the end)? or do you stay until

you're done with all your planned shots, ask the bride and groom are there any

other shots they want, take those shots then take off? is it necessary to stay

until the lights are out? i'm finding that there comes a time when it makes

sense to get out of there. what do others think? thx...

Hi Delanza,

In most cases for me I am there through the "usual stuff" and then a little while longer for some extra spontaneous shots. The bride and groom are aware at our final planning meeting of when I will be heading out - and they are given about a 30 min heads up before that time in case there's any other special shots they want - or if they want some overtime.

That being said - all of my coverage is set up to essentially be "full-day" with 10 hours as the mark. So at our planning meeting they know how things are set up regarding time and events. I think the important thing is for everyone to be well aware of the plan ahead of time.

Not done an evening do for years. 3/4 hrs bride's home to mock of cake cutting and start of wedding breakfast. There's seems less and less demand for the evening to be covered which I'm happy about in my area. I guess it depends on the market forces and if the evening is simply going to be a dance and drink or something more formal.

We're contracted for 6-8 hours or full day coverage. So if B&G want us to start at 2pm, we're out at 8pm, 10pm or until they leave, depending on contract. We always give them a heads up that we're getting ready to leave and ask if they want us to stay longer for overtime or get any particular shots before we go. And they usually say no. :)

I leave it up to the couple. They pay extra if I stay for the whole thing.

After a certain amount of time, shots become repetitive. On the other paw, if you don't stay for the whole thing, you miss the departure in the limo or horse drawn carriage. Limo drivers let me crawl into the front seat and shoot towards the back through the window. It makes a lovely image.

Later,

Paulsky

I usually figure staying about an hour past the first dance. That way you can get some of the misc. dancing, garter, bouquet, etc.

When planning out how many hours of coverage needed, the B&G can usually tell you what time they plan on having dinner. Figure about an hour and a half after they seat for dinner they will have their first dance (if it is after dinner).

You can work with the band or D.J. at the reception. Ask them what is planned and for what time. A good DJ will ask what time you are contracted to leave, and make sure the major stuff is done before then.

If you stay until the bitter end you may get a great moment or two, but you may also have a set of images from the day that are too heavily weighted on the reception.

Even though you may be at the reception for half the time of the day, I think the photos before the reception (B&G, wedding party, candid stuff, ceremony, getting ready) should have more weight in the album. Maybe 2/3 other stuff, 1/3 reception in total pictures. Or 3/4 other, 1/4 reception.

Last night I planned to quit at 8pm (per the contracted time), however, things were not yet complete. My approach then is to ask the B&G did they want to keep me there. Last night it took till 9:30pm just to cover the basics. Then we left. I only stay if they want me there.

If it was purely a choice on my part as to how long to stay. I think the official coverage ends with the last scheduled thing on the DJ's list (bouquet/garter or whatever). I would then stay to cover a few people dancing, then take off. I don't think you need to be there till the end unless there is horse drawn carriage or something at the very end.

Best, D.

In our area the reception is often one of the most important parts of the event. A lot of money spent on flowers, table arrangements, band and other stuff SO we stay till the end. When time is a factor is more often restricted before not during the ceremony.

On our larger packages time is not a factor nor is how many locations so we often go to both getting ready locations and then where ever else things are happening and stay till we all agree see you after the honeymoon.

So much depends on the event, sometimes I feel I could take a nap and nothing would have changed and other times things are going on all over the place. Sometimes the leaving is important and sometimes not. The reality is people look less and less good as the evening wears down so use of the images is going to be less and less and the size smaller and smaller.

No good one size fits all answer like so much of event photography you have to go with the flow.

Brooke

Our contract specifies a time limit ... and says it as " up to, not to exceed".

We offer additional hours in some circumstances, but really do not like to go past the 8 hour

mark when things can get sloppy ... both on our end and on the client's end.

I know we're done when we start repeating ourselves. My partner has learned to never put his

camera away as we leave because there's always "just one more shot" someone wants when

they realize you're leaving.

Similar answer: contract is a set number of hours and anything they request after that on the wedding day is $150/hr, or part thereof. After 15 min extra, it gets billed.

I normally get to the reception early, pose the first dance, pose the cake cutting, a few shots of the receiving line or entrance and head table if no receiving line and I'm outa there.

Bottom line is this: if you've done a great job of shooting the ceremony and park (formals & informals) they will only buy what they can afford. They will chop out the reception first, most of home second and most of ceremony last. I used to stay late at receptions and they'd buy 1 or 2 shots - even if they had lots of great choices. Simply no more money to buy the extras.

The key thing to remember is that many (most?) photographers take lousy park shots and the couple are forced to choose reception instead. That's from talking to former brides and seeing other work.

Just my 2 cents.

How the package is worded can be an important piece in all this. If they've got an 8 hour package we've already set a start and end time. Typically I beat the start time by about 15 minutes but that's on me. I also give them the "20 minute warning" to alert them that the coverage is coming to a close and see if they've got some special group shots or anything else on their agenda. I've worked for studios that offer "unlimited coverage" and even though you were repeating some shots, alot of the guests were liquored-up or otherwise "toasted", and everything was obviously winding down...I've had brides and more frequently grooms that didn't feel like they were getting their money's worth unless you and the DJs were the last one out the door.

I've also seen and herd of some other photographers that were rushing the DJs to get the Bouquet/Garter thing done and quick as a flash they'd be out the door right afterwards. When you're working for yourself and it's your studio name on the line, I think it's a good idea to put in a little more than what the clients paid for.

I stay for all the major events (toasts, cake cutting, garter and bouquet toss, first dances) then stay for a few crowd dances. I would say it it probably about 10 songs or so. After that, it is about the same stuff for the next 2 hours... the same 15 poeple dancing on the dance floor. I too find the bride and tell her I am about to leave. I ask if there is any thing else I can do for her before I leave.

Same here as most... I have a 4 hour, 6 hour, and 8 hour package, anything beyond that is charged at $200 per hour. Personally 6 hours is long enough for me. After the cake cutting, bouquet toss, garter toss, and maybe an hour of dancing what is left to photograph? Usually people are sloppy drunk at that point and it just starts to get repetetive.

I let my couples know this at our initial meeting as well..... and I'm usually fried after about 7 hours anyway.....soooo......

I would have to say stay until all the "reception" events are covered... but what do you do when the bride and groom don't start the fun until three hours into the reception!!!!! Had to stay until 11:30 p.m. for a wedding where they didn't start the first dance, the flower toss, the garter, etc. until late. Many guests had already left but the drinks were still flowing. Ended up being about 18 hours of coverage. :(

I have specific time frames in my contract. Mine specifially states a start time and an end time. It makes those rare, 10am ceremony, 6pm cocktails type days.

I also play it by ear, if I know the cake, or a dance is about to happen, I stick around then deal with the OT if any.

Ian you "poor" soul! Michelle I'm with you - 7 hours is when I feel fried. My packages are pre-set times, too, 4, 5, 6, and 7. I like the suggestions to communicate with B&G at first meeting your schedule. I created a Photography List for the B&G to fill out the key moments and times for their ceremony and reception, and also my arrival time. I realize not every couple will have the details worked out for event schedule, but it is really important to me to be on the same page as far as the coverage goes - I know what is expected of me, and they know, too.

I appreciate the suggestion to communicate w/ B&G before you leave, and to have an idea for, and to communicate overtime charges, if they apply.

I agree that shots get repetitive after a certain time - the crowd thins and the B&G are too tired to pop - and so am I. I think sometimes I have to be wonder woman with a camera and stay till the break of dawn, and I wonder if some couples expect that, but I'm finding I can be more reasonable than that, and the couples usually are too - it's about communication up front, and be sure to create contracts or packages for your time whenever you book a wedding if you have not already.

I tell them that I'll stay until I start taking the same shots over and over! I'm only half kidding. I enjoy the receptions and feel that it's the time when you really get to see the couple in the context of the family and friends. However I am realistic about how many extra pages it will sell for me in the album (typically only 2 or 4) and so I usually call it a night before the B&G leave. I'm not sure about North America but here it is pretty typical for the B&G to be the last ones to leave so only a few want the grand leaving shot.

I usually close it down, and that's a big selling point for me. It's a killer way to do things

though! And to be fair, I don't do it every weekend - I'm primarily a photojournalist and limit

my weddings to six a year. But, late night is when I've shot some great album-ending images

- one comes to mind of the bride and her mom from behind, arms on each others' shoulders

surveying the almost empty room and post-party remnants.

Like Marc, I never work past 8 hours but I will say 8 hours is not the norm. Most of my packages are 6 to 7 hours.

I offer a 5, 6 and 7 hour package. I explain to people that actually want 8 hours that most of the time it is not needed because how many dancing shots do they really want. We plan the day according to the number of hours needed and desired with the option to keep me an extra hour if needed at $300 per hour. I will stay an extra 15 min if things run late and I don't charge for that.

I agree that when the only shots left to take are repeat shots of the same drunk people on the dance floor then it's time to go. When the bride or groom asks why you are still here, then it's time to go. "Giving the bride and groom their money's worth." Is this time or coverage? Based on the feedback here it appears to be coverage...within a certain amount of time which makes sense. So here's what I take away from the comments above. If the normal time allowed for pre-wedding and wedding coverage (up to 4 hours), or pre-wedding, wedding, and reception coverage (up to 8 hours) is exceeded then that's when overtime pay kicks in at whatever rate you charge. This doesn't mean that you have to stay the whole 4 or 8 hours, but are willing to stay at no additional charge if necessary to complete the coverage. For the wedding where everything is on-time and goes smooth this may end up being a 7-8 hour day, especially if the ceremony and reception are in the same place. For those that start late and on top of that include travel time from the church to the reception hall this could easily be a 9-10 hour day. I think it's important for the B&G to realize that more than 8 hours may mean an inefficient wedding rather than getting your money?s worth out of the photographer. I appreciate all the comments! Thanks.

I usually stay through the bouquet and garter, which is usually the last "event" at the reception. Usually, the planned time frame is all used up by then. In the rare cases that it isn't, I stay til it is. In the planning stage, I always ask if the couple is leaving formally--changing clothes and/or leaving before the guests do with some going away ritual. I ask if they care to record that event enough to extend their coverage. Half the time, they do, the other half, they don't.

Call me crazy but the longest I stay at a wedding is 4 hours. When I first started doing weddings, I was breastfeeding so that was about as long as I could stay away! I am no longer dealing with a breastfeeding infant but I have not extended my time. Honestly, I have never not had enough time to get all that the bride and groom want me to get. Before the wedding day the bride and I will coordinate exactly what time she wants me to get there and then she knows exactly how long I will stay. If I need to stay longer it is 50.00 per half hour but I have never had to stay longer.

I let them know when it is about time for me to wrap up and we will get those "last minute" shots before I go. Sometimes I am still there when they leave but most of the time I am not.

Let me tell you , after 4 hours I am exhausted. I have NO IDEA how you guys do it for up to 10 hours. OMG. My hats off to you.

I may eventually extend my time to cover longer but so far so good! :)