XTI at a baseball game?

i am going to a phillies and mets game this weekend. i am wondering if anyone

has taken an XTI into a baseball stadium. all i have is a 17-85 IS lens and a

50 1.4 lens. nothing huge or white! do you think i will have any problems? i

am taking the subway in so if they don't let me in with it do they allow you to

leave it in an office or something? its the only camera i own, but i'm not

sure if they will concider it professinal or not. thanks

joe

You need to check with your club and look at their policy...

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/phi/ballpark/code_of_conduct.jsp

Looks like the Phillies have some sort of "bag template" like you see at airports, and you won't be able to bring in anything bigger than what it will fit into, but it appears still photography is permitted otherwise.

I've not had any problems getting into major league baseball stadiums with a bag as long as it fit underneath my seat, but other sports are different. You try taking a still camera with a telephoto lens into an NFL game here and they treat you barely one ring below what a terrorist bomber should expect, and you can also forget getting that same equipment into the arena where the local NHL and NBA teams play. It isn't a coincidence I rarely ever go to those teams' games anymore. Some people like to keep score, I like taking pictures, so those guys can makes their money off someone else.

This is my experience at Yankee Stadium,

They don't allow backpacks. I found this out at the gate. I had to put my camera (Minolta A1) in a transparent plastic bag (very thin and flimsy, supplied by the stadium). I then had to check my empty backpack at a bar just outside of the stadium for $5. It was a pain in the A$$ needless to say.

I would guess that Shea stadium would have a similar policy.

My advice would be to put your gear in your own transparent plastic bag from home.

As far as the lens is concerned, it won't have the range to take pictures of individual players, not even from the box seats. You may be able to take pictures of the field, player formations, crowds and general atmostphere.

Here are my pics with 200mm equivalent from box seats.

http://www.pbase.com/robs_place/yanks

ps. hope they win.

I was at Shea Stadium last night (6/26).

There was a guy there with a Canon 30d with a Canon 100-400 mm zoom attached and a 2x TC using no monopod, taking pictures down close during batting practice. He got it into the stadium with a good sized Tamrac bag. I was Po'd becuase i called the media relations people for the Mets a couple weeks ago, they said no "large Professional type" cameras are allowed becuase they didn't want any interference with other fans. Next Time I'm bringing the big stuff!

I see people at Phils' games with all sorts of cameras/lenses. Heck, they even let you bring in outside sandwiches and drinks (non-alcoholic, of course). In fact, the Phils' ruined the great view of the Philly skyline from behind homeplate with a giant "Phillies" sign because so many people were taking the photo and they wanted to be sure that the Phillies logo was intrusively obvious. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

thank you guys very much. i wasn't sure if i would be able to get an answer for this kind of question. you helped out alot. because of having such short lens my actual plan is to save my pic. taking for after the game. as the players come to their cars and sign autographes for the kids. problem with using the public transportation is not being able to leave the gear in the car until after the game. the plus to the public transportation....$7.00 beers!

thanks again everyone!

There's a guy I always see who must go to every Texas Rangers game who has a setup very similar, except for the brand. He sits in the same spot behind the first base dugout high in the lower level in row one of his section, and he always has his Canon 1D series camera with what looks to be around a 300mm or 400mm f2.8 lens...it's a big, white, fast prime, all bolted on to a monopod.

Earlier advice to call ahead is right on target. See what they will allow. The Oakland A's allow cameras and lenses and monopods, but not tripods. I was allowed to stand next to the rail for 3-5 minutes a couple of times to get close photos of players. A 300mm f/4 lens isn't considered too-outsized. Maybe even a TC with it (grin). That's sufficient to get good shots from the first 10-15 rows of individual players. Take your camera; have fun. That's what the Phillies organization wants you to have. But ask first. Or email, and bring their response with you in case the ushers get a bit too demanding.