relocating to North Carolina

rannbphoto

This is my first post, so bear with me. I live in Ohio now and am planning to

relocate within the next 6 month or so to Charlotte, NC. I just wanted to know

if anyone has any brilliant marketing strategies I should consider. Anything

will be a help, because I'm totally lost on this!

Also, is anyone out there in the Charlotte area? I'd love to assist or intern

to get started in the area. I'm not super-competitive, so you won't have to

worry about that.

Thanks! :o)

Yes, we'll have to get together soon, then! My husband just found a great job there (in NC) and we've been looking for an excuse to move south, so . . . I guess we're going. I'm not sure how smooth this transition is going to be, though. I've never had to advertise or do any marketing before. I'm not even listed in the phone book! I was hoping that someone would have some killer advise, but I don't know if that's going to happen.

I work mostly around Winston-Salem, NC and Boone/Blowing Rock, NC. Both are about an hour and a half from Charlotte. Charlotte is the biggest city in NC... You shouldn't have much trouble finding bookings there. If I find myself in need of a second shooter near there I'll drop a line through p.net.

Thank you so much, Micah! I was starting to think I wasn't going to get any response to this. Do you know if there's a list (like the Knot) that I should get on or anything? I was going to do local bridal boutiques and reception halls, but I don't know if that will get me any business at all. If not, you don't have to reply. I appreciate the offer to shoot second. I'd love to help anytime.

Thanks! :o)

Welcome to NC, Rachel!

I am about 65 miles west of Charlotte, and don't know any photographers there. But it is a big city, not as southern in nature as some in the south. I think strategies that work in Ohio should work fine in the Queen City.

Best regards,

Tammy

Get into lots of business network groups. Some that come to mind are your chamber. See if Business Network International is around there. Both really help you get going. Hit the florist, hotels, churches, DJ, and bug them bi-weekly. Ask hotels if they want any special photos done of food to shhoting the executives, to photographing the decorated halls gotta work for free for a bit. Check out the schools for dances, prom shots graduations, swim meets, soccer, haspital gatherings, new wings, new gear. Cover golf events.

Thats how we do it!

Get into lots of business network groups. Some that come to mind are your chamber. See if Business Network International is around there. Both really help you get going. Hit the florist, hotels, churches, DJ, and bug them bi-weekly. Ask hotels if they want any special photos done of food to shooting the executives, to photographing the decorated halls gotta work for free for a bit. Check out the schools for dances, prom shots graduations, swim meets, soccer, hospital gatherings, new wings, new gear. Cover golf events.

Thats how we do it!

Get ready for a lot of "ONE WAY" streets. Charlotte is full of them. I wish you both all the best with your move. If you are moving into the city you'll want to take a taxi, walk, or bike most of the time. The traffic is crazy otherwise. I hate driving through town.

Oh and I live about 15 minutes north in a small town called Salisbury.

Good luck!!

why thanks Rachel! I still 2nd shoot but as soon as I take off on my own and I'm ever in need of some help I'll send ya an email or something.

I'm heading over to your port tomorrow morning with a cup of Joe to check out some of your work. At the moment I'm heading to bed. See ya!

Justin

Can't say what the tax situation is in Ohio (for small businesses,) but North Carolina seems to have kept the very same laws (from the British rule _ 1770s) in the new Century. The friendly tax folks like one to list everything one owns for the tax man to prepare the annual contribution you should make to the state. (At least that was how it was when I was stationed there in the U.S. Air Force: a military person could own a home, but not get "taxed" as a resident.)

And the "listing" cared about if you had a B+W television or a color television set, so it might be rough....