External Hard Drives and Delkin Gold DVD's

Hello... great forum!... I've learned a ton here since buying my E-1... I have a couple of questions

concerning the storage of my digital files.

First off, I was wondering if anyone could give a recomendation for a reliable external hard drive for my

Mac (OS 10.4). I've considered the Lacie firewire units, but after doing some research, there have been

some nagging concerns about how rugged these drives are... any experience with these or what you might

consider a better option?

My second question has to do with Delkin Gold DVD's. I am currently giving my clients 3 gold Mitsui Cd-

r's for their wedding photos. I prefer to give the clients the longer lasting Cd's so their wedding images

will last as long as possible. I have to give them 3 because of the 650mb storage capacity of the Cd's. I

noticed recently that Delkin makes a gold DVD which they say lasts for a much longer time period than

standard DVD's. My question is,, does anyone have any experience with these DVD's?... Are they buggy in

certain computers, or drives... Should I stick with the Mitsui?

Thanks for any help!

Take care

Mark

I haven't had any problems reported by anyone whom I've delivered a Delkin e-Film gold DVD-R too.

I buy bare hard drives (AKA "internal hard drives) and install them in AMS Venus DS3 single drive or MacGurus "Burly" multiple bay drive cases. I was at Fry's yesterday and bought a couple of 500Gb Seagate ATA 100 /7200rpm / 16mb cache HDDs for $109.00 per drive

MAM-A also makes archival-grade gold DVDs, as does Kodak; they are also abvailable, I think, from Verbatum. They're priced similarly, and seem to be the same quality. All, including the Delkin, claim 100+ year stability, and all either buy or license their dyes from Mitsui, and it seems all archival DVDs are produced in the US. MAM-As are made in Colorado,

http://www.mam-a.com

and many people consider them to be the finest, but any premium Kodak product will be the highest quality.

As far as I know, only MAM-A is currently offering DVD+R, which is superior to DVD-R in terms of error prevention and error-correction.

Thats great! After all the time, effort, research, and $$$ I finally decide on the LaCie only to read it may not be reliable. Well, the Porsche design is cool, kind of reminds me of my ol Contax G2, also a Porsche design. I still rememeber the 70's ad for the Contax RTS: "When you open the back of a Contax you are esentially opening the hood of a Porsche".