Where to pitch a tent near GSMNP?

derek_thornton

I just found out that in the Smokies you have to reserve a campsite six months

to a year in advance. WOW! For back country camping, 3-6 months in advance.

Does anyone know how crowded the camping areas are in nearby Nantahala NF. The

NF campsites are first come first serve, to my knowledge? Hope I dont need

reservations there!

You can find more campgrounds in and around GSMNP via the following websites:

http://www.recreation.gov/

http://www.reserveUSA.com

ReserveUSA is who you would be placing reservations with (probably) if the national forest campground you select requires them.

There are a number of campgrounds in Cherokee National Forest in Tennessee, both to the north, and the south of GSMNP.

Depending on the time of year, the national forest campgrounds tend to be fairly crowded. The worst times are, of course, at the beginning and end of the summer, around holidays, and when the leaves start to fall. I've seen quite a few in the past few weeks that were full. Sometimes they are fairly empty.

As long as you stake out your camp during the week, you shouldn't have any trouble finding something. Things might fill up on the weekends.

There are NFS official campsites and there are other places that are turnoffs in the middle of nowhere that you can primitive camp. The cascades of the Nantahala above the beginner whitewater section is an example of unofficial. (ymmv and you should check call the ranger station and just because locals do it doesn't actually mean it is allowed etc etc).

There are also lots of private campsites, especially around Bryson City and the Nantahala that cater to whitewater that are empty during the week and not filling up on the weekends because of the high price of gas.

I imagine the Cherokee got something going on as far as camping too.

The South side of the park is a better place to be if you aren't in the park itself. The north side is a madhouse.