Storing a back-up M body I currently don't use

Hello,

I'd like to know how to properly store a perfectly working M3 I won't use for a

few months : total darkness in a drawer? (dust-free solution) Let it sit on a

shelf on display? (show-off solution).

I wouldn't want to make a big mistake & in 6 month time post a question here "how

can I fix *this*"?

Thanks!

Fred , I can see with your cat urine post that you have a sense of humor, so I suggest that you do what every leica owner does with their cameras when they are not being used. Place it on a alter, arrange flowers around it,light and arrange candles to be on each side of the camera.If you have a photo of HCB that you could put over to the side,so the candles will illuminate it ,that would be perfect.What I would do, is place the camera, where its in a dry,dust free enviroment that is secure, with the camera not cocked.

No problem for a few months.

Exercise the shutter every few months (all speeds). Don't store in a humid or

hot place; keep out of suns rays (generally no problem for a metal body, but

possible damage to cloth shutter if direct rays focus through lens onto it; if in

doubt, set lens focus to nearest distance).

My repair gal told me the lubrications they've been using for the last 10 years are synthetics and can get stored a long time without a problem. If your M3 hasn't been oiled in longer than that then you might have a problem with the old lubes. Considering how long it takes to get one serviced you might even think about sending it instead of storing it, that way it'll be better than new when you get back to it.

Thanks for all the replies e-links & advices.

Blake : Yes I am going to store this M body for some time because I have just bought a better/minty one. The old one, I made a couple thousand rolls with : it's as tired and beat-up as Keith Richards (2007 vintage). Plus this M3 scratches film from the inside on 3 diff.places and the speed dial is dead.

Since I don't need it now badly and I don't have the monies to have it CLA'ed I will retire it for the moment.