Super-Angulon on a Mamiya Press ???

john_galuszka

At eBay there is currently a 90mm SuperAngulon in a Seikosha shutter.

Mamiya Press cameras use a Seikosha - S shutter.

Does this mean that lens cells for a Super Angulon can be mounted in a Mamiya

Press?

(Note: I think that the 90mm Super Angulon was available for Copal OO and Copal

0 shutters.)

Or, an I talking incompatible Apples and Oranges here?

BTW, the 90mm Super Angulon would cover a Mamiya modified to 6X12 if the lens

cells fit.

John

www.XtremeDigitalPhotography.com

Three issues: Shutter and cells must be the right size, i.e., SA cells for a #00 won't go directly into a #0. The remounted cells must be spaced correctly; this is the dread shoulder problem. And I believe that the 90 SA's flange-to-film distance at infinity is shorter than the 90/3.5 Sekor's f-to-f distance.

Two big questions. Why? 90 mm is a short normal focal length for 6x9 and the Press system has fine normal lenses. Yes, the SA has more coverage, but the cameras have no movements to speak of. I know that the Super 23 and some earlier models have sort of back movements that can be used only with a collapsed 90/3.5. A Press modified to 6x12? Interesting idea. Pardon my ignorance, has it been done? If so, which roll holder was used?

Dan,

The circle of coverage for Mamiya lenses is about 120mm, so the most you could get is a 106 mm wide negative. I cut a knob-wind film back to 111mm wide, so the corners are not exposed. The Super Angulon will fully cover a 180mm wide negative on 120 roll film.

BTW, the 111mm Mamiya required replacing the "M-adapter." I also made a 106mm wide Mamiya with the "M-adapter" slightly modified, but still on the body.

BTW#2, the 106mm version camera with the 50mm Mamiya lens makes a great landscape camera.

The 6X12 Mamiya is easier to backpack into the wilderness than the 6X18.

Photos of the cameras can be found at www.XtremeDigitalPhotography.com.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I have had to answer my own question by putting the two shutters side-by-side, and--as they say in Maine--you can't get there from here. The copal 0 and the shutter for the Mamiya Press aren't even close. Different lens cell threads; different lens board hole size. (I'll try to attach a photo.) BTW the Surper-Angulon 90 mm did come in a copal-00 back in the 60's (?)--I have one on my 6X18 panorama camera--but the recent ones are Copal-0.

So ... I'm building a conversion unit--Mamiya bayonet to Copal#0. I'm not sure this will work. Stay tuned ...

John

www.XtremeDigitalPhotography.com<div>00Li0A-37235984.JPG.47e11e02e91e40239b7ed0babc828455.JPG</div>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi John:

I just looked at this thread and your pix. The Copal shutter you show is a Polaroid Copal, and apparently not the same size as a regular Copal 0. I have a 65mm Mamiya Sekor from a Mamiya Press that I use on my 6x9 Horseman, in a Seikosha S shutter. The elements from that lens screw directly into a Graflex Copal 0 that came with an 80mm Noritar lens that I also use on my Horseman. Just in case that Graflex Copal was something out of the ordinary, I tried it in another Copal 0 and elements that fit the Seikosha S shutter screwed into the other Copal 0 shutter.

Hope this is helpful.

Bob