Leica vs. Panasonic Compact P&S

I've been considering Panasonic & Lumix compact P&S models because I like their

styling and feature sets, but haven't actually been able to find Leica models in

a store. What I'm wondering is if there's any real & noticable differences

between the two on a per-model basis.

It seems that for every Lumix model there is a corresponding "Lux" model, which

supposedly has different firmware or something. In theory they have the same

optics, but I don't know. Are the differences worth the extra $100 or more per

camera?

What would make the difference for me would be things like better optics,

greater focal range, greater aperture range, manual controls or AV/TV priority

modes, and speed. Especially speed, because a lot of the Lumix (Panasonic)

cameras I've played with are S-L-O-W. They seem to be underpowered in the

processor or lacking enough memory to get off more than one shot at a time, etc.

My hope would be that the Leica models would address that issue.

Anyhow, if you've got any experience or knowledge in this area, I'd appreciate

hearing about it.

Cheers,

ALF

Anthony.....

My understanding is that the differences between Lux and Lumix are primarily in the

software/firmware control of the camera. I don't believe there are any differences in the

significant factors you list. Furthermore, if you are considering one of the raw compacts, I

would especially go with the Lumix version. I use the Lumix LX1 (now the LX2).....it's superb.

If you become intimate with its unique combination of capabilities, you'll like it too.

They're the same cameras. Leica has some input on the lens formulation and lends their prestige; Panasonic (Matsushita) does everything else.

If you comparison shop, it shouldn't be between a Leica P&S and a Panasonic (unless you really care about the Leica badge.) You'll want to look at the specific Panasonic model and compare it against other makes at the same price point.

The only info I found referred to Leica requiring changes to the image processor (Venus III), but not why. I own a Venus II generation ip Panasonic and follow the posts and articles about the latest. The big difference between the complaints about the two are the Venus II noise, and the Venus III NR. I've never read that Leica required changes to Venus II. My guess, then, is that Leica didn't like the Venus III NR and prefers noise to smeared detail, if that's the choice.

It seems a simple enough matter to resolve, but I haven't seen any test comparisions.

Thanks, Michael!

There seems to be some debate over on Amazon about the quality of the LX2 and corresponding Leica model. There are a lot of high ratings, but every low rating mentions the same problems -- with poor high ISO performance being the most problematic for me.

Personally, I'd be happy with a 6MP P&S that has a larger sensor to reduce noice. That and good high ISO performance, though I'm unaware of any P&S camera that works well at ISO 800 -- much less 1600.

Cheers,

ALF

"Personally, I'd be happy with a 6MP P&S that has a larger sensor to reduce noice."

If you don't have a specific need for a pocketable camera, then a 6mp Nikon D40, which has an APS-C sized sensor and costs in the range of a high-end p&s, would be my choice, if I were in the market for a new p&s.

The high-end p&s price-niche is likely to be filled by small dslrs with p&s characteristics, of which the 6 and 10mp D40s are an example.

For the vast majority of the fixed lens cameras, there is no difference other than styling,

warranty and perhaps the capacity of the included storage card. And price, of course.

I've had the Panasonic FZ10, LX1 and now the L1 DSLR. All three have been excellent cameras

which take superb photos.

Godfrey

If you want a bright, colourful image you go for the Panasonic, if you want a true colour

with more realistic flesh tones you go for the Leica. Both cameras suffer from noise unless

you stay at 80 or 100 ISO, Both cameras are a little slow on RAW or TIFF setting but bear

in mind that on both cameras you have a Leica lensed point and shoot with either 8 or 10

megapixels depending on model, This is the same as having a disposable film camera

with Fuji Velvia in it. On the whole they are both great cameras for what they are. I've

had pin sharp 20inch by 30inch prints done on a panasonic LX1 that are now on the walls

of my local town hall. The point of these cameras is that as with any camera it's only any

good if you have it with you, these are as almost as good as a DSLR but will fit in your

pocket.

I have the Leica version. Its a nice feature packed camera. But so is the Panasonic. I talked

to the local Leica rep, who said it really is a small diff in the firmware. Either one is a great

GP camera.

Cheers....

BTW - the Leica classic brown cases are starting to hit the market again finally.......great

classic Leica styling....