Epson Stylus Pro 3800

To all here who whish to go down this road. I just unpacked my new Epson 3800.

Installation is simple and quite quick since the software on CD takes over for

you.Once the paper was loaded and the settings applied the first six prints

where in my hand , this printer can take 6x4 sheets and I used Epson Premium

glossy. My monitor is calibrated and all prints are spot on matching the color.

A word of warning the printers construction is a little on the light side, so

much so the front door of the print tray already has a broken latch. It did

not line up correctly and broke pushing it shut. I just hope someone at Epson

reads this it should be modified. For the record the dedicated table the

printer stands on is made from alloy and has been set up with a machine level

to less than two mm over one meter.

One more point to make changing media will automaticly make the driver dump

black some is wasted. This I found when I changed from glossy to Archival matte.

I would like to hear from anyone using the 3800, any experience you have

would be of interest.Thank you.

Cheers Manfred

"A word of warning the printers construction is a little on the light side, so much so the front door of the print tray already has a broken latch. It did not line up correctly and broke pushing it shut"

I agree the front door isn't the the sturdiest but I haven't had any real problems with it and nothing has broken in about four months of moderate to heavy use. I think you just have to be careful when closing it and not try to quickly jam it back into the printer.

I've been very pleased with this printer. I have had no problems at all. While some ink is used when switching back and forth between MK to PK at least the switch is done automatically by the printer and you don't have to physically take one cartridge out and put the other in as you had to do with the 2200. Advanced Black and White mode seems very good, so much so that I haven't found a need to download the RIP I used with the 2200 when making b&w prints.

Thank you for your imput , Jim larger ink containers plus printing up to A2 is a bonus besides it is a more up to date model.Brian I am happy to hear your 3800 is without problems , you are propably right

the auto black change is a good thing. I was just surprised as this was unexpected.As to the broken latch on the front door I do think it was a faulty part, somehow the plasic toungue seems incomplete. I will not go back to Epson and just replace it with an alloy part.

Again worth noting is the surprising quality of the printing far better than expected Profiles work no need to tweek color is awesome

and details are exceptional.

Cheers Manfred

"...A word of warning the printers construction is a little on the light side, so much so the front door of the print tray already has a broken latch. It did not line up correctly and broke pushing it shut. I just hope someone at Epson reads this it should be modified..."

Call Epson. They will send you out a little kit to fix it. Takes 5 min. with a needle nose plier and a mini flashlight(to see what yer doing).

John

Thank you Elliot I for one agree with you on this. John my special thanks to you I will take this up with Epson Australia. Looking at it repair would possible just replacing the broken tab with an alloy plate glued on , but the Epson kit seems the go.

Cheers Manfred

Hi Gregory , not sure my explanation is all that clear. The broken part is the little tab on the inside door. This little plastic part is part of the door about 8mm wide 6mm high 2.5mm thick but where it joins the door its u shaped and only about 1.2mm thick. The part broke while closing the door, the springloaded mechanism inside is fine.

Cheers Manfred

Manfred and other repliers,

I also have recently purchased the Epson Pro 3800 printer and I am very pleased. However, I do not see the awesome results that I expected on the "Epson Velvet Fine Art" media with portraits shot outdoors in nice lighting. Is there a secret, what do I need to "push up" - saturation, what? My prints seemed way too flat and lifeless. I printed the same image on Epson semi gloss (on other printer, Epson dye printer) and the result was stunningly wonderful. I use Photoshop CS3 and used the VFA icc profile and of course, PS was managing colors and monitor is hardware calibrated, etc., etc. Please advise what settings anyone uses to get VFA media to be so outstanding with portraits.

Thank you, Debra in VA, USA

Hi Debra , since this printer is quite new to me I am unable to comment. So far all my printing was on Archival matte and premium glossy, perhaps you do need to shift saturation a little? I must say the difficult issue here seems to be getting the right choice of paper , I have some Hahnemuehle Pearl on order someone here recommended for portraits I will post the results once the output is to my satisfaction.

Cheers Manfred

Hi Debra , while I agree with Elliot to a certain extend but in my opinion a good quality matte paper is best if the print is to be exhibited ( framed ) under glass. My experience is it eliminates

disturbing reflections , at least it keeps them to a minimum.

The reason for me trying Hahnemuele has more to do with durability

the paper is cotton based. A low sheen is acceptable.

I do know the Epson paper is also cotton based I have not had the opportunity to use any, but a friend has and he did say it is outstanding. Strange may be his remark make sure you print on the right side?

As to the Hahnemuele I will post my experience asap.

Cheers Manfred

• 1 month later...
I just got the 3800 today. I'll try to come back and post more as I learn. So far: Ditto on the front latch. Somebody warned me about it before I got the box in the car (from Showcase in Atlanta, GA). But they also said it is a great printer. I've printed two 8x10's on Epson's premium luster paper. The second one is superb after I went to the custom settings and unchecked high-speed, but still left it at 1440dpi. If anyone else has tips and trick, please chime in. ... As for the Epson velvet fine art paper, I think the instructions say not to use that paper with the 3800.