Making my own camera strap...

kenny_c

Hi Guys,

Having seen those luigi straps that sell for silly prices, I decided to take

matters into my own hands... so the inspiration came from the pet store, I just

attempted to make my own leather strap from a dog leash... the pictures are for

giggles... this posting is really random so take what you might want from it.

here's before

http://www.kennethchou.ca/c330.jpg

The strap was simply cut to a desired length and stitched back up with thread

while throwing the loops into place. What actually made me do this was the easy

in which they could be stitched up by simply going over the pre-made holes on

both ends... the handle end has alot of extra stitching, which made it easy to

cut to length and still use existing stitches to create the ends... this

particular one had a layer of soft deer skin which I have cut out carefully for

the possibility of a mid neck cushion, but the strap actually feels quite

comfortable without it, I'd say about just under half inch in width... I may

take it out for few shoots and then later decide to stitch the deer skin in, but

there is a possibility of ruining the leather. (I've never tried to stitch

leather).

Heres the result.

http://www.kennethchou.ca/made.jpg

so there you go! A cheap and sturdy camera strap for $5!

I might need to stitch further to re-inforce, and later fill in with some glue

to make sure it holds 200%.

Just a rant, it's nice to make something once inawhile and take matters into

your own hands.

cheers.

k

It's always great when you can make your own accessories. I made a camera case out of a wooden box years ago and carried it on several jobs. It was strong enough to stand on, which was often a great help.

Well done, Kenny!

<i>Factor in what my time is worth and this would be an expensive strap.</i></p>Factor in how much time it took you to click your way to this thread, read it, type and submit, and this would be an expensive reply. And you wouldn't even have a strap to show for it, just an empty brag.

A man of quick wit, eh Jerry.

Sorry, I've got better things to do with my time than spend an hour making a strap I can buy for 15 bucks.

And total elapsed time writing this response...under 2 minutes...done while my printer spits out another $60 print...gee, I just made enough to buy 3 straps, brand new.

Hey Paul, can you whip me up some tires for an Alfa Romeo ;-)

I guess some of us just enjoy the satisfaction of doing things for ourselves. The personal touch. It's an individual preference.

I often make nice straps by using horse rein leather and "chicago bolts." I often did with with better cameras like Rolleis and Leicas. They can also be hand tooled.

I've made my own straps before, but for the simple reason that I made them the exact length I wanted them for the camera in question. I had the shoe repair ship rivet and sew them in that fixed position. No buckles to come loose, less bulk, more flexible in the area nearest the camera, which made camera handling much improved. There are plenty of reasons for making custom equipment other than saving money.

Leica makes a really excellent, adjustable strap with shoulder pad, and non-marking attachment to camera eye setup for $34.00.

Not sure I would "trust" something cobbled together for the same purpose. If I wanted to show some craft skills maybe a belt or a wallet is a better idea than hanging an M4 on a dog leash.

Several years ago I read of people using automotive hose clamps for do it yourself focus tabs....to each his own.....Go for it.

<i>Not sure I would "trust" something cobbled together for the same purpose. If I wanted to show some craft skills maybe a belt or a wallet is a better idea than hanging an M4 on a dog leash.</i></p>Considering that an M4 weighs half as much as a teacup Yorkie and doesn't have legs I think probably you don't need to worry. Unless you've got ten thumbs and can't hammer a rivet.