shooting for a magazine

im aware that if a magazine randomly approaches me to buy an image off me, then i sell it along with

License to Use agreement for a one time publishing, size, etc etc etc. And that is all they can use it for.

What happens in the case where a magazine approaches me to do a shoot for them? I charge them my

fee... but then is copyright with me or with them? can they keep using it if they want to? am i able to

publish it on my website or show it in my personal portfolio? who's right is it if they commission me to

shoot a spread for them? thank you. And does a License to Use agreement apply in this case as well? ie: i

take on the shoot, and the pics can only be used in X issue of X magainze at X size etc.... need this to be

clarified please. thank you

the sky's the limit. . . it's all negotiable, unless it's a publication like national geographic who makes its own rules.

If they pitched the deal to you without rules, it's now up to you to pitch it back with what it will take for them to hire you. . .

Your contract will answer all of your questions. So, I suggest- YOU decide what you want and put it in a contract (copyright, usage, etc). Your contract will spell out all the info in your question. Visit websites like EP, ASMP, PDN. Also visit Seth Resnick http://www.d-65.com/photographers.html The best bet is to write your own contract stating what work you'll do, the when/where/how and what you will receive in exchange for this work (like maintaining your copyright). Sometimes the client may initially begin with a job request and contract - you should READ (and EDIT as needed - simply cross out/change/add things). I often add and/or change contracts, and this is a good way to clarify communication/commitments with clients. Use your contract before each job. Period. Contracts are your best friend and the clients as a communication/expectation tool. Use them as a map of what needs to be done, when, how - who gets what for what, etc. So, when the magazine approaches you - ask for the details, then send them your preliminary contract to get the ball rolling, and don't be alarmed if it comes back with revisions, just re-read it to see if you agree, if not call and talk further, and then edit and resend again. Hope that helps. Good Luck.