digital Zeiss-Ikon body, when?

joop

Consumer film was always the biggest part of film sales. Fuji Provia, Astia, Velvia, Pro 160S and all other professional film sales were never close to being the most significant market by volume or dollar figures for the film manufacturers. It was always the consumer film like Reala, Superia, Kodak GOLD and so forth that was making big bucks for them.

Now that every soccer mom has a digital P&S, consumer film sales are down significantly. It's picking up however in China and India.

Professional film market went down probably 30% or so worldwide (I'm guesstimating here) and for the most part stabilized. It's essentially in zero-growth phase right now, which is nothing to worry about if you're using film and intend to use it for long time to come. Most of serious amateurs and "pros" are using professional type of film, be it color or B&W and thus I see no reason to worry that Kodak GOLD sales are going down. Personally I don't even like Kodak, I use Fuji or ILFORD. And these two, judging by press releases and information available, seem to be more committed to film market than Kodak. Therefore why support the company that doesn't quite want to support you?

As far as digital Ikon goes - I honestly don't see any market for it right now. I could use a film Ikon that would be fully mechanical though...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

<p>To all of those who seemed to be in denial:<br>

""When digital technology takes another leap or two, you can count on us to come up with high performance digital systems that will satisfy even the truly passionate. And your Carl Zeiss T* ZM-mount lenses will be ready."<br>

From the CZ brochure 2005</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>As much as i like to use film, and i will continue to use black and white film for a good while longer, however, when one decides to shoot colour it is becoming increasing frustrating and expensive! Labs where i live used to process E6 in 2hours, now they only do runs twice a week (so you have to wait 3 days for your film). In addition, has anyone tried buying a roll of 35mm velvia or provia recently? it goes for about $20-$25 a roll of 36 exp (add a few extra bucks if you want provia 400), add another $10 for processing that is $30-35AUS. <br>

We can get all nostalgic and all continue to use film, but for all practical purposes a digital ikon is well overdue. It would be welcomed by both professional and amateur photographers.</p>