Konica C35 automatic

Picked up this little fellow at the local flea market for $5.

After changing the old mercury battery(safely disposed)and replacing with a 675

zinc air hearing aid battery, the meter came to life and seems to perform

pretty well.

Fun compact little camera.<div>00LYIf-37043984.jpg.e99d90b0a061acefa2537186903a9441.jpg</div>

Well done Franklin! They are a great little camera and close to the smallest rangefinder around. They have a bit of a following on the internet if you do a search.

On one site it says that the C35's were made between 1967 and 1968 ... that does not sound right ... they look too "modern" for a camera of that age. Does anyone know when they were made?

If you are impressed by the C35, try the Konica Auto S3! (or if you like older cameras, try the Konica Auto S2!!) Great cameras and just as much fun.

Regards, Andrew.

Andrew, I ran into a website awhile back comparing the styling of the C35 to later rangefinders of the 70s... it only looks modern because it basically defined the style! I think it may have been the first rangefinder to offer the light meter inside the filter ring as well... as step forward towards TTL metering!

The dates posted are probably right for the original C-35. The C-35 Automatic replaced it and offered slightly more convenient flash operation. You set the camera for the guide number of the flash you were using and the lens opening would be adjusted according to distance as you focus.

I've had one since 1971. It is pretty beat up but still works. I've had two problems. The worst is light leak troubles. I got a kit to repair from Jon Chapman, but even that didn't completely work the first try. The C35 has a complicated foam placement arrangement.

The other problem is the light meter tends to overexpose, Luis may have the right idea with a lens shade, not only would it help with lens flare, but it would keep the meter honest. As of now I just meter with the camera focusing down then half push the shutter release to 'lock' the meter setting. Here is one I took in Puerto Vallarta this last winter. http://www.photo.net/photo/5518126

John, could you be having a battery issue? Is it a more recent problem or something the camera has alway had? Many people replace Mercury 675 1.3v cells with Alkaline 675 1.5v cells... which works fine for later cameras with a voltage regulator in the circuit, but many cameras from the 1960s did not use a voltage regulator... the result is changes in the metering according to the freshness of the battery... too much power with a fresh 1.5v battery and too little as the battery fades. Zinc Air Wein cells or hearing aid batteries with correct 1.3v should help!

One of my C35 automatics, using Elite Chrome 100, also has the same under exposing problem, even with the #675 battery. (Duracells and Walgreens are all marked 1.4 volt) I plan to test, resetting the ASA speed to compensate. The C35MF which uses 2 AA cells appears to be right on with Elite Chrome 100.

• 1 month later...
Hi guys, i just bought a Konica Auto T and i am kinda curious about exactly where i am supposed to get the 1.3 volt mercury batteries i need for it. I was reading above and if anybody has any alternatives or websites where i could order a couple, i would most appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

• 6 months later...

As a follow up for this camera,i recently thought the meter had died but doing a search found this page by Matt Denton which perfectly described the condition and repair.

http://mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/konica_c35auto.html

The meter needle was barely moving and after resoldering a new ground wire as he describes the meter indicator started to move freely.

The little C35 lives to shoot once again.