CS3 memory problems using liquify filter

I'm running an Windows XP machine with 4 gigs of memory, 250 internal gig

scratch disk, and am having a hard time dealing with the liquify filter. I'm

running the 3gig switch in the bios. The file is about 118 megs and I've

reduced all layers and shut off Bridge etc so that memory isn't being used

elsewhere.

It takes a long time to load the liquify filter and after very little

manipulation I get an "out of memory" message.

When I ran liquify in CS2 I didn't have any problems at all.

Anyone have any ideas on this.

Michael,

I assume you meant you are using the /3gb switch in the boot.ini?That should provide CS3 with about 2.5 to 2.6 GB of RAM... right?

Have you tried altering the percent of RAM allocated to Photoshop.

Your should try values in the range 40% to 80%, step through in 5% or 10% increments, restarting Photoshop after each change. I have found some CS3 commands (e.g. Auto Align on two 350 MB files) works at 75% but not much higher).

Another thing to try which is pretty esoteric (but documented the the Adobe Tech Note on "Optimizing Photoshop CS3..." (not sure of the title)) is to set up a new user account, create a new set of Preferences (which will create a new *.psp file) and try again in the new account. This worked for me (with an out of memory problem using Auto Align). The old Preferences file was corrupted. I was able to copy the new user account Preferences file to the original user account and that worked too. Now I keep a backup copy of the .psp file in both accounts.

I've got a few more suggestions but try those out, let us know if it works,

Good Luck,

Ken

Thanks Kenneth,

Yeah, I meant boot .ini. My RAM allocation in photoshop is at 70 and I had it up to 80 and down to 60. In the performance box I have listed 2625 available ram, and photoshop uses 70% (1837). History is at 10 and Cache is at 8.

As for you new user account, I saw your post on the adobe site, and when you described this, my eyes started to glaze over which happens frequently with tech talk. Could you describe the process in a bit more depth. Thanks.

It's interesting that liquify would be so different in CS3 than in CS2. It takes minutes to load where reverting over to CS2 it is almost immediate.

Thanks

Michael,

Here is the reference document that will help you:

Adobe Tech Note kb400919

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb400919&sliceId=2

First try Step 4. The Tech Note will tell you exactly where to find the Preference (*.psp) file that you should rename.

Then you start up Photoshop and go into Edit/Preferences. Set it up with Memory, etc. like it was before you 'lost' all your preferences which is caused by renaming the *.psp file. Re-start Photoshop. Then retry the liquify command.

If this still doesn't work then go to Step 11 in the Tech Note. That's what worked for me. If step 11 works you may not have to always use the newly created user account (I didn't). Try copying the Preferences file to your old account and see if Liquify works again.

You could try cutting the Cache Levels way down to 1 or 2 and the History States down to 5 or 10, at least as an experiment. I don't think you need to restart Photoshop for these to take effect but I am not sure. I would be surprized if this makes a difference since you had everything working under CS2 but it only take a minute to try.

There are other suggestions in Tech Note kb400919 if none of this works. I would try Steps 8, 5, 12 (in that order) next.

Ken

How do you use the liquify? many people just hit LIQUIFY to adjust part of a image and load all the image for nothing; time and memory consumming for nothing.

Did you try just to select the area (a bit bigger) that you need, let say the face, and use the liquify? it will be way faster since the filter only have to generate this area to work. I use this filter everyday for my retouching, work on 100 meg file to 700 meg file without a problem, and with CS3 its so fast its scary ; )