please tell me what causes this

golden

hello all, this film was shot with an omega view 45d, 6x9 roll film back, i

processed the film and first off i noticed the fogging, starting at about

frame 3 just along the edges, then by frame 8 it was everywhere. after i

scanned the film i noticed something else, there is a strange line running

verticle. here it is. all feedback will be appreciated, thanks in advance<div>00LU0H-36947884.jpg.5311cf1330c1cfa761738ff09d2a508e.jpg</div>

I got something like this on one side, horizontal, with a shutter hanging on my Mamyia 645 1,000s. It was suggested to get a new battery even tho the on in the camera seemed to be working fine.

I did and it did not help. You are getting your line more consistantly.. mine would happen once in awhile.. usually on a reallly great "money" shot.....

Which way does the shutter travel on your camera (I am unfamiar with it)?

Likely culprits are light leaks and/or internal reflections. Were you using a lens shade?

Internal reflections become a problem with some cameras with longer exposures. Those can

look like bands of lighter and darker regions of exposure as becoming more obvious as the

exposure duration increases. The geometry really depends on the individual camera.

Taras

Hello John,

Sometimes I have a similar line on prints, coming from the enlarger.

The enlarger is a Durst 6x6 and has dark metal bands on each side below the glass of the neg carrier to cover the unused space around the neg (e.g.35mm negative in the 6x6 carrier), to have just the negative size without the white light on the table.

As the enlarger is very very old the metal bands seem to reflect a bit of light from the edge on to the table. I enclose a 400% enlargement of a print. It doesn't happen very often and I think with a black matte tape or pen I can cover this problem.

I also found a similar problem by using an old paper carrier where the carrier reflected on to the paper, I threw the carrier away.

So check the negative (the negs are o.k. in my case), maybe the neg carrier reflects in the scanner or the carrier in the film magazine reflects on to the film.

So far on the lines, about the fogging I don't have a idea, but try a different magazine, maybe this one is weared already a bit.

regards Richard<div>00LU5o-36949784.jpg.5add20d93f7699ecd404435230f80252.jpg</div>

i develope my 120 film using a stainless reel and tank. like i said before, the film starts fogging right along the edge starting at about the 3rd frame then it gets worse then toward the end of the roll its everywhere. normally when i take pictures using this setup (large format camera, 6x9 back) i make sure i put my darkcloth over the bellows due to pinholes. i know this time i didnt. could the pinholes have contributed to this?

I would guess that it's a light leak in the film back. I don't think that a flare would cause a

line, but a light spot. If you are processing your own film, make sure that you're handling the

rolls properly. A line on the inside edge of the film makes me thinks it's the back.

Somewhere the back is not light-tight. Since the line is very small and not that bright, it must be a pretty small leak. For starters, tape light-tight tape around the sides, especially where it opens and its hinge is. Or check if the light seals in the back are in a good condition and have them replaced if they aren't.

First, check the light seals - there is one each near the latch and the hinge. If they look good, check the spring arm in the shell, which holds the insert - it may not be producing enough pressure to hold the insert firmly against the frame; when that's the case, the insert can and will wiggle, especially when you're advancing film, and can produce all kinds of wierd light leaks. If that seems okay, then is your darkslide original, and what's your film-advance routine? Do you advance the film with the darkslide in, or out? Do you do it right after a shot, or right before?

John:

I have seen this sort of fogging with my Horseman 6x9 holder in a Busch Pressman. The vertical line along the edge of the frame is a bit of flare reflecting off the edge of the opening in the camera's film standard that reveals the film gate in the holder. If this is a flat surface, there is more of an opportunity for this reflection. Better cameras have the hole edges angled or they may be thin enough that it's not an issue.

I resolve the problem in my case my using some adhesive-backed anti-reflective paper from Edmund Industrial Optics.

Good Luck!