I'm about to purchase from Amazon a Rebel XTi for conversion to full time

infrared, by Life Pixel. I have decided to purchase, as well, the Canon EF

17-40mm L series for use with the xti. I currently use the Canon 5d but did not

want to convert it over. I would like to hear from anyone who may have made

this conversion. I am leaning towards the "Deep B&W filter" , but would like to

hear from anyone on the other choices of "Standard" or "Enhanced Colour"

conversions. I have, in the past, much experience with 35mm, 2 1/4, and 4x5 B&W

infrared films and for that reason I am leaning towards the "DEEP B&W" filter

but want any comments that may help my decision.

A digi cam has only red,green, and blue receptors.

All any IR filter does is block the blue. Well a bit more complicated in how it effects the red and green.

In the end, the photoshop channel mixer can do the same thing. Drop the blue, increase green, and slightly decrease red.

I have done IR with HIE film for years with Leica rangefinders. Now i use photoshop, and it is one heck of a lot simpler. I defy one to tell the difference.

http://www.radiantvista.com/video_tutorials/page3/

Go see how easy it is and save the conversion and camera.

Ronald's reply is quite wrong - a true IR filter blocks all the visible light, not just the green and blue. You cannot fake infrared light with visible light, as it is a different wavelength with different responses. The below image shows the incredible difference that IR had with some subjects. Impossible to do in post-processing of a regular colour image.<div>00LV9r-36969184.jpg.11f689301486ad9c846945e83945d395.jpg</div>

Depends on how strong of an effect you want. I've used the Hoya R72, which many people recommend, but I found that it does give me as much of the "infrared look" as I want so am thinking of getting either an 850nm or 950nm cutoff filter. The Hoya/B+W ones can be quite expensive, but there are cheaper alternatives on Ebay in the $35-50 price range depending on filter size.

IMO, there is a clear trade-off here:

If you choose an R72, you will get the nice false-color effect, but your red channel gets blown out and/or you get a lot of noise in the green and blue channels.

With an 87C or above you are pretty much limited to B&W, and the "filter factor" is greater.

I had my D100 converted by lifepixel. I am very happy with their service and my results. I had mine done when the standard filter was all that was available. Looking at their site now, if I were to do it again I'd opt for the deep IR filter. Either way you'll have fun with it!