Protection for 17-40 f/4L...B+W or Hoya? Regular or Thin?

jim_d5

I have just received a Canon 17-40 f/4L. Good lens for my 30D and Rebel XTi. I

usually do not use protective filters, all of my other lenses are used naked or

with hoods usually. However, this particular lens seems to need a protection

filter...large front (ashperical mind you) element and a moving non-sealed front

element.

So, I have no problem spending the 80 bucks for a good filter. But I am trying

to decide whether to get the Hoya Pro 1D SMC UV or the B+W MRC UV Haze 010. I

have read many like the B+W and feel the Hoya is cheapy. However, some say the

Hoya coating is better. I cannot decide. I feel it is an important decision as

I want to keep it on my 17-40 just about all of the time and would like it to

interfere with the image quality as little as absolutely possible.

Finally, should I get the slim version of the B+W or the regular one? The Hoya

says it is already slim, is that slim enough? If anyone has a protection filter

on this particular lens please let me know what you use and the results.

Also, on the Hoya, does anyone use it and find they can still easily and safely

attach the default Canon lens cap? Thanks, J.D.

Hoya is not "cheapy". Their SHMC line is the best. I don't know if you need the slim version when using a 17-40mm with a 1.6x body. You likely would with a full frame body.

Recently I bought a 77mm Pro1 SHMC to use with a 12-24mm lens on a 1.6x body and I see no vignetting. Plus it accepts a regular lens cap.

I bought the B+W slim for my 17-40L. As Emre says a full frame cam would need the slim....and I have used this lens/filter on both my 1.6x digital slr and my film slr. Emre's also correct that the Hoya SHMC is excellent also. anyhow, back to my choice of the B+W....It does not accept a regular lens cap.......but it does come with a slip on lens cap with the purchase of the filter. However, after a few thousand removals of it....heh.....about 2 1/2 years use, it is starting to get too loose. so, I ain't convinced it is now such a great idea. Only thing is, I can mount the lens hood reversed (ie when not actually using it) on the lens, and the slim filter's lens cap still fits on.............not convinced a normal lens cap on a slim filter would allow that.

I have got a DMC UV thin one and a HMC normal one. If you are after protection, go for the normal one because according to Hoya the thicker one uses thicker glass and has a thicker frame, which all else being equal probably equates to more protection.

I either will keep the dust and scratches off, but the thicker one should have more impact resistance.

Well, I just ordered the Hoya Pro D S-MC Clear filter. You guys convinced me. I decided to dump the UV option and save 20 bucks. I have since read a few comments on this clear filter that you cannot distinguish images from when the filter is on and not no matter the shooting condition. I will not try and go around looking for a direct lighting scene to make the filter "show up". When did we all become so critical? I have become overly obsessed, albeit unnecessarily, with image quality, and I am desperately trying to go back to just taking pictures. I keep saying to myself, "leave me alone".

I think you'll be fine with a standard Hoya HMC. They are reasonably, multi coated glass. All my filters are either vintage canon UV or skylights that came on my lenses, or HMCs if bought new. I find them to be excellent filters, and have encountered no problems except on my 17mm lens, which not only darkens the corner areas, but chops the very corners entirely. This is the old fixed FD version, however, so it takes 72mm filters. (In fact, a standard filter comes into contact with the bulbous front element, so must be slightly shimmed or just not tightened all the way.) Your lens takes 77mm filters, which eliminates this problem. I borrow the same lens as yours from a friend every now and then and have used it on an A2 (no crop on that camera, of course) and a 1D with a standard filter and I did not notice dark corners.

Keith

Since you use it on a APS-C sized sensor camera, you won't need a slim version of a filter. If it was a EF-S 10-22mm or Sigma 10-20mm it would make more sense due to vignetting.

As for Hoya filters, the non-pro1 milticoated UV-protectors that I have on two of my lenses, are the pain to wipe indeed, exactly as Bryan Carnathan mentioned (www.the-digital-picture.com).

Fortunately, the B+W are free of it, as I use them on the rest of my optics - same multicoated, they have less trouble with cleaning them up. For less money spent on B+W than on Hoya Pro1, they are at least equally rough for tough use, I would say - although I haven't gotten to use Pro1 on field yet.

Thanks, Alibek