kiro

Hi All,

I need to get a TTL flash for some upcoming stuff and all the gadgetry has me

cross-eyed. I'm used to using studio flash systems which I find a lot more

intuitive than this stuff... anyways, here's my question: The feature I'm most

interested in is the ability to set the flash to be, for example, -1/3 or -1/2

stop from exposure, and then, whenever I change my camera's fstop and shutter,

the flash auto adjusts to always be the same adjustment from exposure. Does the

430EX have this capability? The 580EX does, right?

I need the flash because I'm going to be doing some indoor human interest

documentary stuff, and also want to be able to do the high speed sync. It seems

that the 430EX will meet my needs if I'm understanding everything correctly.

Are there any features that are in the 580EX but not the 430EX that you think I

might be overlooking?

Thanks!

Flash exposure compensation ±2 stops in ⅓ steps is a function in all Canon bodies and supported by all E-TTL flash units. On some flash units even ±3 stops can be set directly on the strobe.

<p>

All EX flash units have high-speed sync. All except the 220EX can bounce, and all except the 220EX and 380EX can swivel their head.

-- "can you think of a good reason to get the 580 over the 430?"

The 580 can be set to master mode as well as to slave mode ... the 430 can only be slave (in case you want to use more than one flash at the same time).

The 580 is able to flash twice as much light ... this is worth one fstop.

"f you're experienced in people documentary - can you think of a good reason to get the 580

over the 430?"

The 580EX is much larger so it might impress your subjects more.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

One last point. The 580 has a pc cord connection that may come in handy if you're using your studio lamps as well. The 430 does not have a pc cord connection and you'd have to rely on wirelss flash to activate others. Personally, I chose the 430 and used the money I saved for an STE-2 (or whatever it's called) to remote/wirelessly fire the 430 as I rarely position the flash on the camera.

Regarding the statement: "...whenever I change my camera's fstop and shutter..."; Your shutter speed will not affect your flash exposure as long as you are at or below max. synch speed (or if you are using class-M bulbs with a leaf shutter, which obviously does not apply in this case). It only affects ambient exposure. In HSS mode the shutter speed will cut some light form the flash, though. Just curious: Why do you want to use high-speed synch for the indoor stuff you are doing?

Keith

Oh..I forgot to mention that you might want to look at Sunpak handle-mount units for what you are doing. They are a lot easier to accessorize, offer very simple manual operation unlike the Canon speedlights, and they are a whole lot cheaper as far as guide number per dollar. They are also much more versatile, as they can be used on any camera. TTL modules are available as well. The 555 is under $200 and has a guide number of 160 at ASA 100. The TTL module may be $40 or $50, and a filter kit (very cool and invaluable accessory) is $25. Rechargeable battery clusters are an option instead of AAs. The Canon units are great if you want all automation all the time, but anything other than that requires some uncomfortable fiddling, at least for me.

Keith

I have the 430 and it works well for me. Mainly you give up some power, and the ability to act as a master, but it slaves fine. With only one Canon flash, you don't care about master/slave issues now. If you later want to use multiple flash you can always add the 580 later, at a time that the new price might be lower. Recycle time seems quick enough for me, lots better than my 550. Because of that I tend to favour the 430 over the 550 for snapshots. All three of these flashes support ETTL and do HSS, though I find HSS not so useful because of the limited range. Yes, you set the ETTL flash compensation and it stays there, even if you turn the unit off and on. Manual exposure comp for most Canon flashes is in single stop increments only, but ETTL mode allows finer tuning. I find the lack of a sync port on older Canon flashes to be irritating, but there is an easy work-around for that problem as well. The 430 is a great little flash, at a good price.

Dave