I have a Mamiya 645e (standard 80mm lens) and have used it with good results

taking pictures from a helicopter of construction sites. One of the problems is

some of the sites are small, and not been able to go lower than 1500 ft, I dont

fill the frame with the 80mm lens. I am not a professional, just do this for

fun and to help out the place where I work. A zoom lens is out of the question,

too expension. Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but would a 2x

teleconvertor be any use, ie, bring the objects in to fill the frame, also,

would a 160mm telephoto lens be any use? Does a 160mm telephoto mean a fixed

160mm, and is that twice the 'zoom' of my standard 80mm lens?

Thanks

John

When it comes to medium format equipment a teleconverter can sometimes be more expensive than a prime lens. There are many 150mm Mamiya lenses for your 645e available and prices are very reasonable. The fastest ones have a maximum aperture of f/2.8. A 2X teleconverter with your standard 80/2.8 lens will give you a 160/5.6. This will be much more difficult to focus and not as sharp as a 150. I have had good results using a 2X teleconverter with the 80/2.8 S Zenzanon on my SQ-A but the view through the finder is not very bright.

John,<br><br>It is correct. Well, nearly.<br>Though it is currently disputed in another thread (wrongly), the ratio of focal lenghts defines the ratio of fields of view and angles of view.<br>The 150 mm being nearly twice as long as the 80 mm, it images things nearly twice as large, having a field of view that is nearly twice as small.

John,

Actually, if Q.G. is referring to the "New Very Wide Angle Lense for Mamiya 645 - 28mm!!" thread, then *he* is the one who is wrong. [Read my most recent posting there, where I gave the correct formula...]

But the degree of error in his flawed formula shrinks rapidly as one moves from the wideangle regime into the telephoto regime - so what he told you is _approximately_ right.

The accurate version is this: a 150mm lens magnifies 1.8x more than your standard 80mm lens; a 210mm lens magnifies 2.5x more than your 80mm lens.

On a budget, you can choose between the 150mm f3.5 or 210mm f4 lenses. Both are very good. From a moving helicopter, you might find the 150mm that little bit easier to focus and hold steady. On ebay, a major dealer called Shutterblade [- usual disclaimers apply, no personal connection to them etc. -] regularly offers theses lenses for a steal (yes, even their Buy-it-now price beats most open-auction prices). I've had stuff shipped by them to Ireland without a hitch. The favourable exchange rate versus the weak dollar makes up for the shipping cost.

One last thing - look for the versions of these lenses labelled "N": they are the newer type; more plasticky but lighter and with better multicoating.

Ray

While they are a little pricey (you can rent them it seems) these can help with ariel photos.

http://www.ken-lab.com/

And, yeah, definitely don't get the 2X thing because of what it does to minimum f-stop PLUS the fact that it won't work with the 80mm lense from what I understand, only the 150 and over because of protruding glass that needs somewhere to fit into.