extension tubes and afs 55-200mm VR lens

roy_rogers

Hello, Ive got a d40 with afs 55-200 and another standard 18-55 lens, Im

thinking of getting some extension tubes but although I need to get auto ones,

will metering still work using a d40 (as it has no motor) and will macro be

closer on the 200mm lens or the normal lens? (sorry if these are stupid questions)

Thanks for any input

Magnification is a function of the length of the extension and the focal length of the lens. The lack of a focusing motor on the D40 has nothing to do with metering. If the extension tube has contacts for the lens chip and motor, you will have metering and focusing (with an AFS lens).

A zoom lens is a poor candidate for use with extension tubes. The internal focus changes the magnification ratio and the focus no longer holds if the lens is zoomed. You are better off using one of the so-called close-up filters or lenses made by Nikon or Canon.

so using the zoom lens is no good I see. If i got a selection of extension tubes and put them on a 18-55 afs gII ED would it be ok? Thanks for the info about metering I was finding it confusing and thinking it still wouldnt work on the d40

The 18-55 is also a zoom so, as Edward already mentioned, it's a poor candidate for use with tubes.

What you might want to pick up is a Nikon CL3T closeup lens. It's has 52mm threads and will fit your 55-200. I used one for years on a 75-150 Series E lens and it worked very well.

"<I>close up is glass, so it will degrade quality,whereas extension tubes wont..hmm</I>"

<P>

Not nessesarily. Many lenses perform poorly with extension tubes; lenses are only optimum over a certain range of distances with performance degrading to varying degrees outside the optimum range.

<P>

In many cases with lenses other than those specifically designed for close-up work you'll get better results with a good 2-element close-up lens than with extension tubes. Zooms and fast primes generally perform poorly with extension tubes.

Roy,

Douglas is correct. Nikon and Canon both make 2-element lenses. These lenses go a long way in correcting the aberrations that would result from a single element lens.

While they don't work miracles, good 2-element closeup lenses will produce acceptable results when used with a quality lens. It helps greatly if the lens is stopped down a few stops from its maximum aperture which is how most people would shoot macro anyway.

The reason that I suggested trying it on your 55-200 is that someone posted a shot the other day using that combination and it looked pretty good....at least on the Internet.

ah right, well there are some expensive close up lenses and then cheap ones Ive read theres not a lot of difference with the expensive ones correcting more problems than the cheapys. I dont mind paying more but is it worth it?

Dont suppose you have a link to a that picture you saw with similar combo? :)

I bought an expensive imported $20 set from ebay and the quality is very good. The 18-55 and 55-200 have the same filter size you you can use them on both lenses. If you are not a nut about macro photography, you will be more than pleased with the results.

And if you want to experiment, see if you can locate a AF 100mm f3.5 Vivitar Macro lens (or a Phoenix brand, same lens, different company name.) You will have a $90 (or so) macro lens that won't auto-focus on the D40, but the metering will be OK.

It will be 'like' a 150mm macro lens on a digital body.

• 2 weeks later...
With my D200, 18-70mm DX lens and a 20mm DG extension tube, I get excellent results at 50mm. You just use it as a fixed lens, no zooming of the lens, your body does the zoom dance. Excellent AF and metering also.<P>I also have the Canon 500 D close-up lens that I use on my 70-200 zoom and it's optically super.