Multiple Exposures with 350D

k_cannon

Interesting that Nikon is still handling multiple exposures on digital cameras, though here in the Canon EOS forum that info may be worth little. What might be worth a lot is instruction on how to combine multiple images in PS. Is it as simple as stacking (for example) 3 separate images as individual layers in one file, and giving each layer a 33% opacity? I haven't revisited the multiple exposure technique since going digital but realizer that I also haven't seen advice laid out anywhere on how to properly do it...

"Is it as simple as stacking (for example) 3 separate images as individual layers in one file, and giving each layer a 33% opacity? "

If you wanted them to be translucent I guess so, a more advanced method would be to mask them together with layer masks, you would feather of soften the mask edges to make the transition subtle.

The simplest way is to take the multiple images then combine using layers and masks. Here is one I did last week. Tombstoning (the art of throwing oneself of a cliff into water) taken in Plymouth (UK).

Technical bit, my MKII on slow does 3 frames a second, this picture is a combination of 8 pictures. I reckon there are 6 pictures from the top of the cliff to the bottom, which equals 2 seconds. Someone told me that a body falling through space would travel 4.9m in the first second, 14.7m in the 2nd second so a total of 19.6m or nearly 65ft.

I've been doing a bit of experimenting with stacking multiple exposures to reduce high-ISO noise recently (works like a charm too by the way).

I've been following through some of the tutorials of Sean McHugh (www.cambridgeincolour.com) - interestingly Sean says that the correct opacity settings are 100% for the base layer - 50% for the next - 33% for the next - 25% for the next - 20% for the next etc (eg "100 divided by the layer number") - I don't pretend to understand the maths behind it (although you can bet he does!) - but none-the-less, from my own experiments I'd say that he's spot on.

One other "multiple exposure" technique that the OP might find useful is to use a flash with a strobe-scopic mode (like the 580EX range) - just did some with my daughter tonight as a matter of fact - 4 sec exposure and flash set for 8 flashes @ 2 per second.